AORUS X7 Gaming Laptop Now Available for $2099.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Regarding the comment about this being the "first" dual-gpu laptop, that is utterly untrue. For example, some of the many configurations of the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P include a dual GPU setup.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Ha, already sold out. I want one, but I'll be waiting for the second version. There was a nice lengthy review on this lappy at another website, and it had some heating issues (80-90c at times, 98c in B4). Apparently the heatpipes for the GPU's were also connected to the CPU that caused some issues when playing games. A laptop pad didn't help, but they were able to lower the temperature by about 20c if they back was propped up on a book and they under clocked everything. (review- google htwingnut aorus review)

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Regarding the comment about this being the "first" dual-gpu laptop, that is utterly untrue. For example, some of the many configurations of the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P include a dual GPU setup.
They might be saying it's the first dual setup that they have produced, but still their claim is a little strange.

airplanegeek

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
uh if the performance is on par with a 780M...why not just put a 780M in there?
2 cards might be cheaper and it could allow for better thermal management? Everybody likes symmetry right?
Ha, already sold out. I want one, but I'll be waiting for the second version. There was a nice lengthy review on this lappy at another website, and it had some heating issues (80-90c at times, 98c in B4). Apparently the heatpipes for the GPU's were also connected to the CPU that caused some issues when playing games. A laptop pad didn't help, but they were able to lower the temperature by about 20c if they back was propped up on a book and they under clocked everything. (review- google htwingnut aorus review)
In almost all gaming laptops, the cpu and gpu heatpipes the same one

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
But not in the same way they are in this one. Read the review, as I posted, and you'll see why the heatpipe setup is a problem in this laptop. Most laptops put a fan over the

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
"AORUS and Gigabyte are just like LEXUS and TOYOTA, one is premium, and other one is standard."Yes! Gigabyte is standard. I'll buy a MSI or ASUS, either laptop or desktop components.lol just kidding

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Regarding the comment on the Alienware 18x being the first dual GPU laptop.... not even close to true. Dual configs have been around since at least the Nvidia 2xx series.Alienware was early to the game (not sure it was the first) with the 17x R1 in '09/10.

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
My little brother has a dell xps with two 8800 gpu's in it. It is so old now, what are they referring too? It can't be simply the first GPU part of it. Maybe he means the first light weight dual GPU laptop?

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Correct! Not to mention marketing. The "I have a laptop with TWO graphics cards" is powerfull. Especially when it's still a laptop, not a portable PC.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Two 765m cards are cheaper than a single 780m.
Correct! Not to mention marketing. The "I have a laptop with TWO graphics cards" is powerfull. Especially when it's still a laptop, not a portable PC.
This. I have a laptop with a single 780m but even I would feel it would be dwarfed next to, say, an Alienware 18 with two 765m's, even if a single 780m can still get it by 5-10%.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
when considering the form factor (0.9" thick), its easier to dissipate heat from two 65W than it is a single 122W source. IOW, try dissipating heat from a 780M in a < 1" overall thickness chassis.

ram1009

Distinguished
The laws of physics will always win in the end. This "gaming laptop" will over heat as they all must. If it were possible to cool that much heat generation within the confines of a package only .9" thick it would already have happened and there would no longer be any gaming desktops. Anybody considering investing this much owes it to themselves to do a little reading on thermodynamics. It won't take very long to figure out that this is all hype.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Yea but those gaming laptops are Single GPU and Single CPU. There is only one heatpipe cooling two GPUs and a CPU. I've seen the layout through Notebookcheck and basically there are two fans, one above each GPU. They pull the heat to the fins and then out the notebook. The CPU is basically dead center between each GTX 765. That brings the Heat from the CPU to the GPUs when exhausting heat but also shares the heat output of both GTX 765M with the CPU. It would have been nice to see a three fan and two heat pipe setup where. The two fans w/ 1 heat pipe cool the video cards, and a seperate fan and heat pipe cool the CPU and exhaust directly through the back of the laptop. No doubt the laptop would be noisier, but they could lower the RPM as there are three fans cooling the CPU and GPUs.

ram1009

Distinguished
Why in the world would you pay more for SLI, when you can get a 780M for cheaper? Then there's no worries on if SLI is supported or anything.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834198032Dumb.
It's all marketing. Any GPU in SLI sounds more powerful than any single GPU to the novices of the gaming world who are the only ones uninformed enough to consider such a purchase.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Nobody is discussing this so I'll chime in. AORUS and GIGABYTE. Everybody is targeting the "high-end gamer" these days because that's the only user willing to shell out the money for this stuff every 6 months. If only another company came out "targeting the high-end gamer"

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
Nobody is discussing this so I'll chime in. AORUS and GIGABYTE. Everybody is targeting the "high-end gamer" these days because that's the only user willing to shell out the money for this stuff every 6 months. If only another company came out "targeting the high-end gamer"
In reality what we need is a company that gives gamers what they want, a customizable budget laptop, with a decent price to performance ratio, preferable with good models less than $900 CAD.

Krazeee

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
The hotstpot for this particular laptop would be $1,800 which would generate the most sales for them. Over 2k, people get edgy and considering that an AMAZING built Sager or Gigabyte or even Asus is on sale offering similar performance and some models with similar thickness, why would anybody pay near double. If the price was ~$1800, people say "Hey! It's only $400-500 more and I get a cooler laptop.: When it's over 2k people say "Nah, I'm not spending $800 more on JUST _____."Sometimes I wonder if these companies even have marketing teams

Status
Not open for further replies.