Dekstop custom build opinions wanted

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Desktop custom build opinions needed!

Looking for opinions on my custom build i'm planning on doing. Prices are in AUD.

$555 - Processor+SSD (Bundle Deal: Intel Core i7 4770K + Seagate 240GB SSD + Intel PC Tool Kit)
$20 - CD/DVD drive
$104/$139 - HDD (2/3TB with Western Digital)
$125 - Sound card (Creative)
$149/169 - CPU cooling (corsair hydro series h100i/h110)
$229 - RAM (16GB with vengeance )
$269 - Graphics card (currently going with Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB Overclocked - but open to other suggestions?)
$69/105 - Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2 LGA 1150 Motherboard /Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 LGA 1150 Motherboard ) - also open to suggestions here!
$20- wireless/LAN card

Will primarily use the rig for statistics/epidemiology and programming.
Secondarily for gaming. Though i have a ps3, i'll be using it for a few games i can't get on that.

Should i add more fans in addition to the stock fans that come with the r4?
Recommendations for other cases besides the r4?
I want to try and keep dust build up to a minimum.

All input welcome!

If you are getting a K series CPU, you should be getting a z87 motherboard. Otherwise you cannot overclock it.

You do not need a LAN card. The motherboard will have one built in. Wireless you will have to buy separately though.

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Gotcha. I'll switch to Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H LGA 1150 for the motherboard then ($135).
Will go with D-Link DWA-548 Wireless N300 PCIe Desktop Adapter for the wireless adapter as well ($25)
Thoughts on the rig in general for what i'll be doing? Anything you would change or modify? And if so, why?

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
What are the downsides of the closed loop liquid coolers?
Would you have a recommendation of other CPU coolers?
Thanks.

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
oh perfect. So no point investing in a separate sound card? I won't be getting 5.1 surround or anything like that. At max i'll be getting average 2.1 speakers or more realistically connecting a headset to it.

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks heaps for that.
Have you heard much about the Fractal Design Define R4
That's the case i was going to go with. Does it have enough room for expansion in addition to holding all the parts i want to get in without it being cramped?

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Oh sorry, one other thing. Like everyone else that sets up their rig, pegging down a graphics card is always a tough choice. What would be recommendations you might have for cards in the $250-$350 range? I suppose the primary purpose for that would be gaming. With thanks.

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Ah yes the PSU, i completely forgot to add that in. What should i look out for in selecting that? I've spent a few hours researching it, but couldn't quite come up with something conclusive on it. I know there are bronze, platinum, gold varieties and that i should be looking at the continuous output and that the higher wattage is something to go by?
Unsure of how much i would spend here, but i would say about $150.

I Would get a gtx770 if the budget allows. hands down.

Just get a 650w-750w unit from the brands I listed for the PSU. Don't forget that bronze/silver/gold ratings have NOTHING to do with quality, only efficiency.

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Pefect. Palit GeForce GTX 770 2GB is now what i'm thinking of getting! Might stretch the budget, but i don't plan on doing anything to the right for at least 6 years from when i get it.
Will have a look at the PSU brands you mentioned above as well.
Will get back to you if there are more queries.
Thanks again!

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Oh also, would you be adding any additional fans or replacing stock fans that come with the Fractal r4?
Just wondering about overheating etc. One bad experience with my laptop has scarred me...

Modular just means some of the cables can be disconnected so you can have neater cable management and a tidier build.

I would not get any more fans, the stock fans will be fine. Your computer will not run hot. AT MOST I would get one additional top exhaust fan but the case comes with a front intake and a rear exhaust which is fine.

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Ok. The guy at the place i'm buying it is recommending i get another exahust fan
"The R4 comes with 2 fans by default; I would suggest grabbing perhaps one extra fan for the front intake; to ensure a positive pressure and a bit more airflow. :

Any recommendations for a fan there? Or any standard fan will do?

Also, what do you think of the radeon r9 280x compared to the gtx 770? The guy at the shop reckons
"As it comes with 1GB more VRAM by default, and 1080p gaming is starting to utilise more VRAM. "

Thoughts on the above quoted statements?

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
He is also recommending ASRock Z87 Fatal1ty Killer LGA 1150 Motherboard over the Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H LGA 1150

Further thoughts on that comment?

He is trying to upsell you. The 770 vs the 280x is going to be the same. The 3gb vs 2gb will make no difference because at 1080p even the highest end games will struggle to even use 2gb Vram.

I would ONLY get an extra exhaust fan that's it. Positive pressure is not important any more. It was back in 2003 in the day of passive heatsinks and 350w CPUs. This is a non-issue now.

That motherboard is fine. It is not really better or worse than the Gigabyte you were looking at.

FOr the monitor, you want 1080p 60hz (could go 120-144hz but would be ALOT more expensive) refresh rate and IPS would be nice but costs a bit more and is definitely not needed.