Slow laptop CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinrehz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
I'm looking for a new laptop to be my companion on the go. I'm not much on the go, but I don't want to be totally separated from my games library when out and about, however I know I can't ask very much of a laptop. I've been poking around various websites, looking at specifications, and I notice that quite a substantial number of available laptops have very low specifications on the CPU.

For example, Dell Inspiron 7000 series 15", sports either an i5 with 1,6GHz processor, or an i7 with 1,8GHz processor. Now I'm not much of a genius on processor speeds, but the numbers seem abysmal compared to my current laptop, with a 2,4GHz C2D processor. Also, comparing it to my desktop it's going to lose by far, but that's beside the point.

To answer some simple questions, I live in Norway, I haven't decided entirely on a budget, I'll adjust my expectations to my needs and wallet, battery life isn't going to be much of an issue, the games I'll be playing is strictly speaking whatever the machine can handle. I have a huge steam library full of both AAA and indie games. It's likely I won't be playing much FPS or graphic intensive games on the go, but if the option is at least available, that would be nice. I'm not looking for something to replace my desktop computer, I just need something for the occasions when I'm out and about.

I'm well aware that for gaming, a dedicated graphics card is almost invaluable, and that narrows down my options by quite a lot.

To summarize a little bit: Is the examples of processor speed I've listed going to be a problem when playing games? I find the specs very disappointing, and it's almost impossible to find what I really want, and what I really want is a 13" laptop with dedicated graphics and a decent processor, but in this country it seems like I'm wasting my time.

Any thoughts?

themaskofwraith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
1,6GHz in i5 and 1.8 Ghz on i7 are the base clocks, not the max clock speed it can achieve. U have to look for the turbo clock info to know about this.

Inorder to help you with your laptop selection , i need to know which games u might play, and your budget for the laptop.

If you can give the site url, from where you are planning buy will let me to assist you better.

Twinrehz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Isn't boost clock just something the processor does when it's running something on single core? One site I was looking at was dell, but looking at the american website, there's a ton of more options to choose from there than on the norwegian website. The model was Dell Inspiron 7000 15".

The other site I'm looking at is https://www.komplett.no/k/kc.aspx?bn=10011 norwegian website, I linked you directly to the laptop section. Narrow down search by using the bar on the left.

Budget, let's set it to 1700 USD, approximately 10,000 norwegian kroner. I found an Asus N56JR, what do you think about that?

themaskofwraith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

Checking

themaskofwraith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
that laptop is good with GTX 760M
But its ultrabook, from my experiance they dont really utilize the 100% of the CPU or GPU. So you need to think ,is 70% of CPU and 70% of GPU are capable of driving your games?

If you really dont mind loosing the portability, then this is a gaming grade laptop.

https://www.komplett.no/asus-g750jw-173-full-hd/781756#!tab:extra

UPDATE
N56JR is not an ultrabook, so you can go with it if you want to keep it with 15inch form factor.But G750 is still a better choice than N56JR .

Status
Not open for further replies.