MSI Z77MA - G45 Memory issue and infinite boot loop.

Tomdickandhairy

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Good day all, I got a second hand mobo(MSI Z77MA - G45). Guy said this problem started after BIOS update.

System:
MSI Z77MA - G45
Intel i3 - 3240 @ 3.4ghz
1X Patriot 8GB @ 1600 mhz CL11 DDR3
Giga R2980x
CM 620w M2 Silent Ed
2X WD Clav Green 1TB @ RAID0

I started with BIOS 1.9 < 1.B > 1.8 > currently testing 1.7.
None of these BIOS has solved the problem.

Problem:
PC will not POST when rebooting, PSU makes a click and shuts down, 5sec in, then goes into a infinite boot loop. Power on, click down for 5 sec, on for 5sec, rinse and repeat!

Only once you move the RAM stick to a different DIMM slot will it POST once. Problem persists again after power is lost to mobo.

I've tried 2X Patriot 8GB @ 1333mhz, same result.

Please shower some shiny white pearls of wisdom down on me!
Thanks

Jellaxy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
try resetting bios by junction in mobo.and check with other healthy smps.if problem persists,try reinstalling the os

Tomdickandhairy

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Thanks for the response,
OS is irrelevant, It will go into the infinite loop without any storage devices present.

Iv'e flashed the BIOS several times over. I started with BIOS 1.9, then I went up to version 1.B then I went down to version 1.8, currently testing 1.7. None of these BIOS has solved the problem.

It's not an PSU issue, The Mobo is the only common component in the two builds mentioned above, both having the POSTing issue, leading to the infinite loop, following a BIOS update

I'm thinking CPU pins, don't know how to test it. Prime95, Memtest can run all day without a glitch. After shutdown it will not POST, unless I physically move a memory stick to a different dimm channel. It will only POST and Boot ONCE. Until I move the memory again.

TheGoat Eater

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Please disconnect the power, wait 5 minutes and then clear cmos, or pull the battery for a couple minutes. You should always clear cmos after a bios upgrade ( and before - or reset settings to default). Let us know, it sounds like he didn't do it and this should help

another possible solution - remove all connected items but the mouse and keyboard from usb