GPU Driver still crashing

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Hey everyone I have a bit of a story here. I had a custom gaming pc built for me by a local business over a year ago. Since day one I have been having issues with the graphics driver crashing. During my warranty phase it was in the shop more than a dozen times. The motherboard, cpu, gpu, ssd and even the case have been replaced over time and the issue was never resolved. Suffice to say the business told me they were done with trying to fix it and told me to take a walk. I was very frustrated at the time and decided I wasn't going to bother with it and put the pc in the basement.

Well today I felt like I wanted to give it another go. I went out and bought a copy of Windows 8.1, reformatted both of my drives and did a fresh install. Almost immediately I got the exact same error again. I am completely lost for words at this point and do not have the money to replace any more components (even though most of the computer was taken apart and replaced during the warranty phase).

Now I am not very tech savvy and am hoping some of you on here can help me out. This has been the bane of my existence and I am determined to get it straightened out.

For any information you may need on the system please give me step by step instructions on how to retrieve it for you. At this point I can't remember all of the different computer components besides the GPU is a Sapphire AMD 6970 2gb.

Help would be greatly appreciated

bistwo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
The only thing I can think of that would be possible if you have reinstalled Windows is that the GPU could be overheating. Is the case well ventilated? Is the GPU being overclocked without adequate cooling?

I can't think of anything else with the info you have given. Give some more specific info about the error please.

Have you tried going to AMD's website and downloading the latest driver?

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
The driver crashing can be caused by numerous problems. I'll try to list them in the order of easily fixable to last resort:
1. Download the latest driver from AMD.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6970/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6970-overview.aspx#4
Using that link, click the support tab and have it autodetect the best driver for you.
2. Unstable overclock. Using a program such as MSI Afterburner, reduce your core and memory clock speeds by 25mhz. This can help stabilize the card. This is a link to the latest version:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
3. Corrupted BIOS. Your onboard GPU BIOS could be conflicting with other programs on your computer. This part is tricky because messing up the update can permanently lock up a card (called "bricking the card") You will have to search for your specific card on the internet to find a replacement BIOS
4. Card is failing. As a last resort, you may need to buy another GPU.

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

The case is well ventilated and the GPU ia not being overclocked at all from my knowledge. The error that happens is whatever I am doing (web browsing, gaming, music etc) will freeze up for a second and the screen will turn black. Then a windows error bubble pops up saying GPU driver has stopped responding and recovered.

I am 99% sure the drivers are updated as I am using a brand new OS (went from Windows 7 to 8.1 with a fresh install) but will check now to be safe.

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

So I checked the drivers and they are up to date. Downloaded the Afterburner program and did what you said. I can't say I understand what I am reading on that program, some of the options are at minimum and some are close to max. Would a screenshot help at all?

Also the GPU has been replaced already and we also tried other different GPUs in the computer while getting the same error.

I am a little worried to mess with the BIOS at all as it is out of my comfort zone, but will do it as a last resort.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

If you tried different cards with the same result, thats a problem not on the card itself. You could try flashing the BIOS on the motherboard. This is generally safer because most mobos built in recent years have a failsafe mode to protect them. I know that mine I literally just plug a flash drive in and can run the update straight from it. But just for safety's sake, lets make another list from easy to last resort:
1. CPU. Wouldn't have an effect.
2. PSU. Doubt it, because if it wasnt getting enough power, usually the entire computer crashes. For arguments sake, what is your PSU wattage?
3. SSD. No effect
4. PCIe slot: Maybe the slot itself is damaged and is causing the driver to struggle. If possible, try another slot on the board.
5. BIOS: On the motherboard manufacturer site, try to see if they have an updated BIOS. In your motherboard handbook, there will be step by step instructions on how to flash your BIOS. It's relatively safe as long as you follow the guide. Also, if you do it, make sure its not during a storm or something. You have to have power through the whole process.

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Appreciate the response. I'm finished trying anything tonight as I'm just frustrated. Will try some stuff in the morning. Are there any error logs or such I could post that would help identify this better? Also am having games just crash to desktop now with no errors at all. Never had that before.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

There's a program on windows called "event viewer" You can try looking for error logs there, but its a lot of information to sift through

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Okay so I switched my gpu to another slot this morning and now just need time to run some stuff and see if it crashes. Was just curious, could a monitor or mouse cause crashes like this? They are almost the only things that haven't been replaced over the life of this computer. I am also using the same brand and model of motherboard (just a new one) the whole time, maybe the mobo could be ineffective with my setup?

I also just downloaded the latest BIOS drivers and will install them when I get a sec. I'll give some updates when I have time.

Thanks

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

A monitor only receives signal from the GPU. I've never heard of it causing an issue before. As for the mouse, its not related. I've never heard of a modern mobo being incompatible with a GPU. They have to make them universally compatible otherwise they'd never sell any.

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

Well I am now stuck trying to flash the bios. I have done everything to the letter but EZ Flash will not load the usb drive. It is recognizing it being there but has an error saying unable to load drive. After much searching on google I am completely stuck now lol.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

Give me a few minutes and I'll help with that. i use EZ flash for my BIOS so i'll go find my program and help you go through it.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
1. Download the BIOS and unzip it.
2. Format your USB to FAT32.
3. Put your BIOS on your USB.
4. Connect the USB to your system.
5. Restart and enter BIOS and navigate to the EZ Flash Utility in there. Select the BIOS file from your USB and let the system do the rest of the work. It'll restart a few times.

This is the steps my EZ Flash uses. If you can, check your user manual and see if your BOIS requires different steps.

StevenV43

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I may have randomly come across my fix finally. Had to add something to the graphic driver part of the registry that stops the error from popping up. Have been testing today and no crashes so far. I'll keep this updated in the next week or so and let ya know how it goes. Appreciate all the help my friend.