Should I get as much 2400hz RAM as possible for 7850k? or ditch this thing....

Ditch the 7850k or keep it?

• Keep calm and keep the A10-7850k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ditch the A10-7850k and get the 6300 + decent GPU

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Forget the both get an i5-4670k + decent GPU

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

jamesrr25

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Hey everyone. apologies for my ignorance here, but I haven't seen this question asked...maybe because it is obvious..here it goes

I am trying to give this APU a chance here and this being my first build I am thinking I may have made a mistake and should have just gone with a 6350 + GPU for a budget build that will play my BF4 at a decent FPS.

Would this thing perform better with say 32gb 2400hz RAM as apposed to 16gb of the same 2400hz RAM? is that much more RAM even something that would help??

Would I be better off just buying the 6350 + GPU setup above?...I know it depends on the GPU but didn't want to get too specific here.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
More RAM won't do much in this scenario. Speed is what matters for an APU and you are already at the point of diminishing returns if you invest in faster RAM. If you can return the APU and MOBO for close to what you paid it would be good to go for an i5 or FX 6 series.

However, the platform will perform just as well at 1080p resolution as the other procs with a solid GPU. If you are gaming at that resolution the GPU horsepower is what matters, which the APU doesn't really have. It's meant to provide capable graphics power at lower-modest settings/resolutions.

I also have a 7850K like you and I plugged in my 7950 just to play some games (1080P) and see how different it was than my 3570k rig. If I benchmarked all day sure I could post numbers but in practical terms there wasn't really much difference.

So the big question is. What GPU and resolution are you playing/planning at?