Sapphire R9 270 OC edition black screen when booting after installing AMD Catalyst

wei0128

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Motherboard: Gigabyte H87M-D3H
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with Boost and OC Version PCI-Express
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power
Ram: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB
CPU: Intel I5-4440 Processor BX80646I54440

There is a weird problem with my graphic card. When I plug it in, and plug the monitor adapter to it, there is screen. After I install the AMD Catalyst driver it gives me, it requires me to restart the computer. After I did, and when it enters the window loading screen (where the icon comes together), it blacks screen. I am able to enter the safe mode though. I also tried to disable build-in graphic. It did not help the situation. The graphic priority is also chosen as PCIe 1. After various attemp, I decided to rma it. However, they sent the card back saying that it works perfectly for them. Am I doing something wrong or is there compatibility problem?

Update*
I checked my card with my friend's set and it is also working for him. He brought me one of his video card, and window also automatically grab the driver for that card.

Update2*
I changed my mobo to Asus Gryphon Z87 with Corsair vengeance 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9). I also tried upgrading the PSU to 700w. Still giving nothing. Though my friend insist that it works on his set perfectly.

wei0128

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Well.... Still unable to figure out what is the problem, I turned to warranty and changed the GPU. This time, it works...

lowtechlowrider

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I had the exact same problem with my r9 270x card and looked around on these forums in despair for hours.

The solution? I have two monitors hooked up, and one is usually off. It turns out that the card thought the other monitor was my primary display, so my normal monitor just displayed black every timed I booted up EXCEPT for the desktop background picture (and only then after I typed in my login password blind).

In other words, my absent mindedness was the problem, not the card. I have a feeling that the issues are deeper and more technical for most r9 owners, but hey, maybe a few people in these forums are just overlooking something obvious like I was.