Asus' $179 Celeron-based Chromebox Shipping March 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
We NEED to know if this will have a locked bootloader and if it will have a BIOS with legacy options. I want one of these to install Linux over.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
We NEED to know if this will have a locked bootloader and if it will have a BIOS with legacy options. I want one of these to install Linux over.

malman

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I would be really tempted depending on the price of a 4GB i3 variant. The base model is still quite appealing, but if it was an affordable upgrade, I'd probably consider it.

MrBo

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Doesn't look like there's space for expanding with a GFX card. Isn't this box sort of the worst kind of steambox? No serious GPU is terrible for everything gaming related, and SteamOS/Steam is based around gaming. It's like they took the longest step away from the intent of Steam machines possible and made a product.

novaguy

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Doesn't look like there's space for expanding with a GFX card. Isn't this box sort of the worst kind of steambox? No serious GPU is terrible for everything gaming related, and SteamOS/Steam is based around gaming. It's like they took the longest step away from the intent of Steam machines possible and made a product.
No, but it might work as a receiver from steam (beta) streaming device to an hdtv. All you need is a good connection and the video decode should work.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

No it's not gaming oriented, but nor was it intended to be. This is a Chromebox, not a Steambox. Very different things. The Chromebox is designed to run Chrome OS, a lightweight operating system based on the Chrome web browser running mostly web based applications that require very little processing or graphical power. Those suggesting using it as a Steam Machine are planning on replacing Chrome OS with Steam OS or some other Linux distribution.

ntgam1ng

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Chances are it won't come with a standard "bios", the chromebox's use a limited uboot configuration however you can use something like chrubuntu to install ubuntu onto the system, I own an i5 chromebox and I run 12.04 LTS and use it as a server & htpc and it handles light gaming pretty well with the crappy hd3000 graphics. If you want you are welcome to use my modified script located here https://github.com/austinksmith/fixmyserverwhich will make your life easier if you decide to take the plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.