Graphics cards comparions (GTX 770 Vs. r9 280x) - Various types. Opinions needed!

shanakarr

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
Hi All,

I've had a great response of answers from a moderator on this forum, but also wanted to pose the question to you all.
What do you think is the better card? I will be building and finalizing my new rig this month and the idea is that it will last me 6-7 years. I won't solely be using this for gaming, as i have a console that i use for gaming, but this isn't to say i won't dabble in games from time to time.
I know game specs change all the time, and in order to play the latest games you have to keep up with technology, but which in your opinion will go the length.
The bloke at the store i'm buying the components from is reckoning that the 280x is a better bet since VRAM is where it's at in the future.
My budget is nothing more than $450 AUD.
Recommendations coming out are:
1) Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Overclocked
2)Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB Overclocked Video Card (Battlefield 4 version)
3) Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB TOXIC Overclocked Video Card
4) MSI AMD Radeon R9 280X Gaming 3GB Video Card - Battlefield 4 Edition
5) Galaxy GeForce GTX 770 GC 2GB Video Card
6) ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB Video Card
7) Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 4GB Video Card

I don't have much experience with Gigabyte, Gainward or Sapphire.

Appreciate all input into this!

I say r9 280x is the better card but by insignificant amount. I would recommend a Asus Radeon R9 280X DCU II Top, assuming prices between 280x and 770 are the same. I would say that gtx 770 is a better buy simply because in most markets, it costs less. Additionally, I won't keep using the same card after 5 years as the preformance would be really bad to the point where a low end 100 card will destroy your fossil. I would also say vram is not as important as others make it seem. Considering 780ti beats Titan with half the vram, that should be evidence enough.