Windows 7 can't detect second monitor.

joeinfairfax

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Trying to get Win7 to detect and extend to two monitors. Just installed a new Nvidia Quadro K600 video card in a 5 year-old Compaq PC. Win7 is only detecting and using the new K600 video card with two monitors connected. I then removed the new K600 video card and Win7 detected and used the old video card (with original output to one monitor). Bios issue? Thanks.

Solution
First and foremost if you want to do dual monitor, the monitors all need to be connected on the same card. So only the outputs on k600. When you put in a video card it will disable all other video cards unless you have them "linked."

there are 2 types of "linking" video cards. AMD'S is called crossfire and Nvidia's is called SLI. For NVIDIA you have to have both the exact same cars to link them. Unless you have a high end board it also requires an SLI bridge. AMD has crossfire, which you can link mismatching cards, but they have to be in the family.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not fully understanding what you are asking. You said you had the k600 in there and it worked, and then you took the card out and the base onboard graphics card will only output on one monitor, that's pretty typical.

joeinfairfax

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
After installing the new K600, only the monitor connected to the new K600 was getting video. I tried to have Win7 detect both monitors in the Screen Resolution menu, but the option to extend to a second monitor is not there. Using the Detect and Identity options also only shows one monitor. So I removed the new card just to check to see if the old card was still working...and it was...but only with the new card removed. Thanks.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
With the k600 installed, when you go into device manager is it recognizing that the card is installed fully with drivers? Windows comes with stock drivers that can get the card working at least, but robuse full functionality you need the drivers. So with the card installed go to device manager and see what it says. Where you using 1 of the ports on the card and the built in port? Or were you using both on the card?

joeinfairfax

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
My device manager / display adapter / says that I have the NVIDA Quadro K600 driver correctly installed. I am currently using the new K600 card to view the single monitor. Also, when I right clicked on my screen, I see I have an app called "NVIDIA Control Panel." That app only shows one monitor, but in that app, it has an option to "Set up multiple displays." That function has the option to perform a "Rigorous Display Detection." That detection effort still did not find my second display. My second display is still connected to the original port, which I think is coming from the mother board. The old video card shows a driver of NVIDIA GenForce 6150se Nforce 430 (when the new card is removed). So it appears that my PC defaults to the new K600 card when it is installed, but once it is installed, my PC will not detect my old nForce 430 card. I also looked at the bios but did not see an option to find two video boards. Thanks again for the help here.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
First and foremost if you want to do dual monitor, the monitors all need to be connected on the same card. So only the outputs on k600. When you put in a video card it will disable all other video cards unless you have them "linked."

there are 2 types of "linking" video cards. AMD'S is called crossfire and Nvidia's is called SLI. For NVIDIA you have to have both the exact same cars to link them. Unless you have a high end board it also requires an SLI bridge. AMD has crossfire, which you can link mismatching cards, but they have to be in the family.

Solution

joeinfairfax

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Okay - That's super helpful. I guess I want to use just the new card then (and not the old one). So the K600 has two outputs. Neither of which is a standard VGA-type output. The one I am using is a connected to a
DVI-I to VGA adapter (I think) that was included in the kit. There is also a DisplayPort to DVI-D SL adapter (short cable type adapter). Can I use that adapter and buy the same type DVI-I to VGA adapter to run the second standard monitor? I'll check back tomorrow. Here is the K600 spec link that also shows pics of the adapters. Thanks.

http://www3.pny.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-K600-font-colordc0431Newfont-P3276C365.aspx

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

No to the splitter. If you are to se a splitter, it would just have a mirror image of what you are doing on both screens.

The other port you have on that video card is what is called display port. What you would need is a display port to vga or dvi, depending on the other connection on your monitor.

stevedawe

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

Did this work for you? I have fitted the same graphics card on a Win7Pro 64bit PC and the computer cannot detect the 2nd monitor. The first monitor is connected to the DVI port on the K600 using the VGA adapter supplied with the card and the 2nd screen is connected to the K600's display port with the supplied DP to DVI-D connector and a DVI-D to VGA adapter.