Best bang-for-your-buck upgrade for my rig? And a question about g-sync

mfink

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello everyone! :)

I am looking to upgrade my rig a bit for gaming, my wife and I play FFXIV:ARR. We run in maximized windowed mode so that we can have a web browser open on the 2nd monitor. I have noticed that this game stutters a bit from time to time and I would like to upgrade whatever would give the biggest bang for my buck.

Here is my current setup:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo
I7-2700k CPU
8Gb RAM
GeForce GTX 680
Running OS and games on an SSD

Would buying a new graphics card be the best route to go? Or could I get another GTX 680 and run them in SLI, or would it even be worth it?

I've also been reading about the new g-sync technology and that my GTX 680 supports it. I am in the market for a 27" monitor as well... are there any really good g-sync monitors that aren't really expensive (somewhere around $300)?

Thanks in advance reading my post and any helpful input!

nothing there is in the slightest bit weak, anything that is recommended will have a marginal chance of solving your issue.

if you think it is gpu related then minimise the gpu settings and see if it still happens, if it doesn't then a gpu update might help, if it does still happen then you are CPU constrained, and an OC might help. I'm not sure that you are suffering from an issue that gsync might solve.

let us know what these tests tell you.

jimpz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
If you are playing online & keeping a browser open, That may be your issue, the additional online traffic depending on your ISP.
As stated above, what you have should be ok.