Building $800 system for gaming, 3d modeling, other analysis (Requesting Input)

Athos1001

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi all,

Its my first time building a computer, I thought I would ask the experts what they thought of my component list.

(I know these threads are rare around here, I thought I'd break the mold :D)

Per the thread title, I would like to use the computer for gaming (ideally in 1080p). I would also like to have the option to do some 3D modeling, other analysis, and possibly photo editing if I choose to down the line. These last requirements are not as important to me, however.

I would like to keep the price under $800 prior to inclusion of monitors, peripherals, and software, however I am willing to go marginally above that price if it would yield substantial benefit in terms of the goals I stated previously.

Of course, if you have ideas for cutting costs, those would be awesome as well.

Here is my parts list:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/36RDf

Also, before it comes up, I think I'm going to forego the SSD for the time being unless someone has a very compelling reason to go that route.

I appreciate any replies, information, and/or suggestions you're able to offer.

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

This was along the lines of what I was going to say.
From what you've specified for what you are going to do, it seems like you are going to do mostly gaming.
So you should invest in a decent GPU.

The 750ti is a good if not excellent GPU, (I have one.) and will game perfectly fine. (Ultra at 30FPS)
Also, for 3D Modeling the 4670k should be good enough.

If along the line you want an upgrade, and you do more 3D Modeling and Rendering than gaming, I would upgrade the CPU.

But what the person I've quoted has said, for right now what he has recommended is good.

Athos1001

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Thank you for your input - 750ti it is. I'll heed your advice on the RAM, as well.

I'm not sure about overclocking, though - I don't really have any experience with it, so I'm not sure how much overclocking I would actually do. Would the 4670 (not overclocking) be able to handle 3D modeling? I'm just trying to get a hold on why the overclocking is recommended, and whether I should:

a) invest in a more powerful processor to begin with - i'm thinking i7-4770
b) simply get the 4670k and learn to overclock, as initially recommended here, or
c) keep everything as is, with the aforementioned GPU and RAM changes.

My goal is to use the computer as a primarily personal/recreational/gaming platform. That being said, i would also like to be able to do some work/technical stuff on it as necessary should the need arise - that's where the 3D modeling comes in. Its something that I would have to do on occasion for work, or if I were going to do some personal project where I wanted to plan things out ahead of time. In the first case, I would be working with complex assemblies, with many parts, but in the latter case I would more likely be doing simpler things that could be accomplished at home.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
If you have the money, certainly upgrade to the i7 4770k.
It will help majorly with 3D Rendering and all that stuff.

But for gaming, it probably won't make a difference.