Best RAM For My Build

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
I'm new to pc building so I need some pointers as to what RAM is best for my needs. I have not yet ordered any parts but the list of components goes like this;

CPU - Intel i7 4930K
GPU - 4x Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N Edition
PSU - Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX
SSD - 6x Samsung 840 EVO
Motherboard - either Asrock X79 Extreme11 or Asus Rampage IV Black Edition

I am not even sure if these components would work together or if the PSU could handle that. Any help would be great. Should I get 16, 32 or even 64gb (is 64 even possible?). Is DDR3 a better choice or should I go with GDDR5?

Price is not a limiting factor; it can be as expensive as it needs to be. I don't want to compromise on components.

This rig is intended for 4k @ 60-100fps for games like Battlefield 4.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Holy dhwoenbfipa crap!! This build is over killing the over killers of the overkillers. DDR3 is RAM and GDDR5 is graphics ram. You need DDR3 for the motherboard while your 780ti's will come with 3GB GDDR5 each.

Edit: my expectation is that people will give you one dream build after another on this post. I will try and work on a general set up for you and others to tweak.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
With a rig like that I'd go at least 16GB in a 4x4GB setup, is this pretty strictly gaming? If so then 16GB 4x4GB (to allow for quad channel ops, Ripjaws Z 2133/9 F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH or the Snipers in same F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR....could go 32GB but for gaming 16GB will keep you happy for a long time...On the mobo, I'd go with the Black Edition

http://rog.asus.com/304462014/overclocking/gunslinger-breaks-multiple-world-records-with-6-4ghz-4960x-on-rampage-iv-black-edition/

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Thanks, I wasn't quite sure as to the specifics as this will be my first venture into high-end pc gaming.

TheUnknownPC

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Id Suggest 32GB Of RAM for a build like that. And if this is just for gaming i call it OVERKILLLLLL!!!!! :pt1cable:

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Yes, it will be strictly for gaming. I want to future-proof as much as possible, so I will be going with a 32gb setup. But what is the reality of 64gb ram? Does a current motherboard even have space for 64gb?

TheUnknownPC

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Yes the rampage iv is compatible with 64GB of RAM as a fact almost all X79 mobos are compatible with 64GB

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

I agree that it is overkill, but I'm obsessed with having something bigger and better, just because I can. And it ain't exactly gonna hurt performance, right?

TheUnknownPC

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Oh no its just going to demolish every game on 1440p but if you plan on gaming on a 1080p monitor thats :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
There on that point, 64GB can possibly hurt, having that much DRAM can affect the Max OC your CPU can get to (if OCing), the freq you run the DRAM at can also affect your OC....I'd guess fo4 99% of users 32GB will be more than they will ever actually run....You reaqlly need to get your rig working head over 20GB, 32GB might not be a bad idea as you'll prob be running this for a few years and apps tend to use more and more DRAM, just a couple years or so ago, everybody was saying 4 GB is plenty, more than you will ever use, about a year ago it changed to 8 is all you'll ever need, now 16GB is more and more common (even in prebuilt rigs).....If going 32 GB would go 4x8GB (less stress on the MC than 8x4GB) and stick at 2133/9 with the RJ Zs, Snipers or toss the Trident Xs into the mix, especially with the Black Edition

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Well, my build is actually intended for 4k, so I needed to know if 16gb could cut the mustard.

TheUnknownPC

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

16GB will do fine :)

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Thanks, great response; gave me very specific points to focus on. I didn't think this question would get so much 'coverage'.

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Also, what does 2133/9 mean? (since I am just starting out I am not familiar with some of the terms) I can't find that stat on any website.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Here is a quick mock-up of a build that is overkill. As every second passes, the advancement in technology is taking "huge" chucks of "worth" out of the price/performance from this build. There is no need to over kill this hard, however I know how you feel when it comes to getting bigger and better because you can!!

Over Kill (Power level is over 9000!! :) )
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/373ed

--
Here is a starting place for an overkill but viable build. I hope others can help me tweak if to perfection to suit your wants and needs. When customizing you get to build it exactly how you want it!! There are somethings I assumed but the general build is below.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($568.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($464.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($680.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($775.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($775.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($300.98 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($198.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Custom Liquid Cooling Solution For CPU + GPU + GPU ($800.00)
Total: $5430.70
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-09 19:35 EDT-0400)
--

Now then lets go through a few questions.

RAM: Would you like 64GB RAM? 8 GB runs games just fine currently but with your budget I would suggest 16GB and only 32GB if you just want to rub it in everyone's face. Any more than that and you are losing value in the system too rapidly over time.

The RAM I selected is 64GB of pure madness and not necessary. It's up to you if you want it.

GPU: I stuck with two of the EVGA 780ti's because yo will be set for 4K resolution gaming for a while with those two. Possibly a third card if someone really thinks it is needed. I will admit that I am not yet savvy with custom liquid cooling but I highly suggest doing so for this build. I would like someone else to give feedback on what to implement for a liquid cooling solution. I added $800 for the loop in the cost as my estimate for the custom loop cost.

I would like to also note that if you want to be bigger and better than everyone; your best bet would be to upgrade the machine over time. When better parts become available and others are catching up to your monstrosity you should then upgrade and leave them in the dust once again. This is the best way to stay on top and have full bragging rights.

SSD: I am not sure how much room you need for storage but I suggest a large SSD for your operating system as well as all of your games and highly used applications. Typically I would suggest a HDD for the extra storage if you have a lot of other things but I am not sure precisely how much room you require. Also the PCIe SSDs are the fastest on the market however I do not believe they are worth their costs especially for a gaming build.

CASE: Again I do not have enough liquid cooling knowledge to know about which cases are better suited for the loop however I believe this to be a great case for your build. Someone can change this to fit the loop requirements.

PSU: 1050W should be plenty for the estimated 831W draw from the machine. It's a great PSU from a great brand.

I hope others will help edit this to create the machine you are looking for!!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Also, what does 2133/9 mean? (since I am just starting out I am not familiar with some of the terms) I can't find that stat on any website.
[/quotemsg]

2133/9 is the freq/CL of the suggested DRAM

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Wow, thanks for going to so much effort. RAM - I think 32 gb would be best for this build, as tradesman 1 said 64 could be damaging to my system. But I think the ripjaws would be a good choice, but I have also been recommended the trident x ram of the same type, which brand is higher quality or are there any pitfalls? Also, is 2133/9 the best in terms of power or other factors?

GPU - again, my question is; does a 4-way SLI harm my configuration. If not then I pretty much want to go down that route, mainly because I am trying to as monstrous a build as possible; I guess its self-asssurance.

SSD - this is the one I'm most unsure about, first I need to know how a RAID5 configuration distributes the data and if I should be using 1 super fast SSD nad then severlal HDD. (I know that the samsung 840 EVO is the SSD I would use).

Case - I have my eye on this one. Any objections? http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706725&fid=4&lan=us

PSU - Itwould need to be 1500W. Any good recommendations?

TheUnknownPC

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

GPU : I go 3-Way SLI Because most cases dont support 4 way sli, and most games dont support SLI

SSD : I Believe you made a forum that I answered

Case : Phanteks Ethoo Primo Or Corsair 900D

PSU : Yet To be realesed Corsair AX 1500W

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

I'm not sure about 4-way and case fittings but 3-way is plenty strong. If you want 4-way be sure to find a board that gives enough slots. Also I'm fairly certain I've seen better benchmarks on 3-way than 4-way in realistic stats.

SSD: You need at least 3 drives in RAID 5. If you are going to RAID, use the same drives. It makes things a LOT easier. For example you will run 4 SSD's in RAID 5. Three of them are striping data giving you 3x speed and full total storage. One of them is providing parity backup incase of a failure, which is highly uncommon but still.

Case: I saw the Antec case when picking one out as well, it will work just fine for you.

PSU: Just make sure to check how much your Wattage will be when running 3 or 4 cards and get a PSU accordingly.

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Ok, having looked into it further having a 4 way sli can bottleneck your CPU so I will be going with a 3 way.

As for storage I still don't know, you have helpfully recommend to stick with the same SSD for simplicity, but many people use an SSD/HDD combo. So is a combo something I should be looking into when I am more experienced?

as to the ram, just brand wise; trident x or ripjaw z series?

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Ok enough quoting the quotes when you reply please, I not berating anyone its just getting hard to look through it all.(I know I just did it, and I just realized its getting ridiculously long)

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Starting with the RAM. They are both excellent modules. The performance difference you be 0%-.01% so just pick the one that's most appealing to you (They were the same Speed and CAS, right?).

As for SSD/HDD. You can RAID 5 if you'd like. You can Also JBOD too. I have 3 SSD's and 1 HDD. I use one SSD for Windows and Misc programs. I use the second for more space, installing games and other programs onto it. I use the thrid SSD as a Cache for the HDD. Lastly, the HDD stores all of my videos, pics, music, and other programs.

I use a HDD because it offers more space at a cheaper price but has a slower speed. Since I don't need the speed for such files it's ok. If you can go for something like 1.5TB - 2TB of SSD storage and think that will be enough, go for it. Otherwise, get SSD's as you see fit for however much storage you need, and get a large HDD for the rest.

SmileyChief

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Ok, I think its time for a big roundup of the various components everyone has listed. I am not familiar with using PCPartPicker so I just manually put in some hyperlinks to the relevant websites. As always this proposed setup can be challenged by someone that thinks they have a more powerful solution.

CPU : Intel Core i7 4930K http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Hyper-Threading-Technology-Virtualisation-Directed/dp/B00EMHM622

GPU : (3-way SLI) EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Classified K | NGP | N Edition http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3888-KR(is the performance boost with this worth it, as in a comparison it did fare better in some aspects)

Motherboard : Rampage IV Black Edition http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/

Or

ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI EEB Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131817(is this even a contender? It was recommended to me by someone)

Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 DRAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231507

Storage : Samsung 840 EVO
http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/P174266P?awc=2371_1394381106_b581daaf38c2208eeba9880dd3c7a8d9
(I am starting to think I would be better of with just one. Is this purely a question of how space I actually need?)

Case : Corsair Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-900d-super-tower-case

PSU : (as of yet unreleased) Corsair AX1500i Power Supply

Optical drive : LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Drive/HD DVD Reader http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/pc-peripheral/1499/lg-ggw-h20l-blu-ray-drive-hd-dvd-reader/

Sound card : ASUS Xonar Essence STX
http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/

Cooling : This a whole other beast and for a build such as this I will be opening a different thread specifically to help me build a custom water loop after I have finalised the parts on this thread.