Cable Management with Non-Modular PSU

kylerjobe

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hey all, I'm in the planning stages of building my new PC (first time) and I am thinking of cable management. I want to get the new NZXT H440 case, a 4770k, a GTX 780, and I am also trying to squeeze a Z87 Sabertooth mobo in there for ~$1500. Obviously, these are pricey parts with a small budget.

I want to save a few bucks with the power supply if I can, but I want enough room to overclock for awhile and then go SLI in 4 or 5 years. So 750W is bare minimum. I kind of want to pick up a Corsair CX 750 for like $70. But without the modular cabling, I am worried that cable management is going to be a beast. I was thinking of hiding the rats nest of cables behind the mobo or something and then using some slick cable extensions to connect the necessary ones.

I am basically looking for some of you experienced folks to tell me, based on your experiences, how easy/hard it will be to deal with a non modular PSU.

Thanks in advance

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You should really think about more than a 750W Corsair if you think you'll be adding a 2nd GTX 780. I would go 850W at least to have some headroom.
As to the modular/non-modular... Except for full modular, they all have at least the 24 pin and one or two 4/8 pin CPU power cables. Some even hard wire the first two PCIe power cables in since most folks would have them anyway. So all you are losing in that case would be the SATA/Molex power daisy chains. If your case has plenty of room behind the MB tray, cable management will not be a problem. The pics of the NZXT H440 appear to show a bit of room behind the tray. Not a lot, but enough.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Why not just get a modular PSU? 70 dollars for a low end PSU that isn't even modular is way too much when you can spend another 10 bucks or less and get a good quality, modular unit; seasonic has some, rosewill, EVGA, XFX, etc.
I understand wanting to keep your options open but,
A. You aren't going to SLI 5 years from now. Think about it, 5 years ago people were running around with like 8800GTs and such. If you had a system with one of those, would you really buy a second and call it a day? Cause that is what the 780 will be 5 years from now.
B. If you did SLI, the CX750 isn't really a good choice anyways.

with the new NZXT H440 ..its a real joke to configurating the harness with a non modular psu
so go with the tx 750W from corsair.. with todays pc case i can see the point to pay 50$ more to have a modular one

kylerjobe

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

Would a semi modular PSU be better in that case? CX 750M? I'm desperately trying to shave dollars off of this build.