SSD Questions about installation

Robbit

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Hello All,

I am going to upgrade my gaming PC with an SSD drive. This is mainly due to wanting my PC to be faster and certain AAA games are taking a while to load. The majority are fine and the main reason for this is because Battlefield 4 is taking up to 2 minutes to load a match which is starting to get old.

On that note, I used this website to find a good SSD and have decided on the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. Firstly, I have looked around and this seems a good reliable one and not too expensive however I am open to suggestions, if there is a better one etc.

The main question is about installation as the title suggest. I have done my research on installtion methods and found a pretty good guide so I am confident with that. I plan on doing a 'fresh' reboot by plugging in the SSD (with the HDD unplugged) and then reinstalling Windows 7 onto the new drive. Then plugging in the HDD once all installed and then confiuguring that to be the secondary drive.

Just for clarity; I am using the NCIX video guide off Youtube as I find he explains it really well.

My 3 questions are this:

1) I already have 1.5TB of games on my HDD which is already on my PC. Most guides explain setting up the 2 drives for a new PC. Since I don't want to lose all my games etc on the HDD will setting up the PC to boot off the SSD delete all the current data in the setting up of the HDD as my storage drive? I havent found any where that explains this yet. If there is away around this could some one explain please

2) I have found an application which let me decide which of my steam games runs of the SSD and which of the HDD without any hassle however since one of the main games is Battlefield 4 which runs off Origin, would I have to move all of Origin onto the SSD or can i just 'click and drag' (so to speak) BF4 onto the SSD and have no problems? If there is a more complicated yet correct way could someone try and explain please. I have also seen some 'horror' stories of games not working correctly off the HDD any more once the SSD has been installed etc. Is this a 'myth' sort of thing and shouldn't happen or is this quite common?

3) Lastly, since I already have Windows 7 installed on the HDD would I get serial/licensing key issues when i try to install it on the SSD? So, would I need to buy a new version of Windows etc or can i just type in the serial key and then delete the HDD version?

Thank you for your time and any help is greatly appreciated!

Robbit

After installing SSD and installing Windows on it, you will have to re-install all games and applications that are currently on the HDD, so that the Windows Registry can be updated with new entries and paths, and so that support files can be written to the new Windows folder.

You won't have any Licence or Product Activation problems just for changing the Windows boot media.
Just use the same Product key, but you must remove Windows from the HDD to stay legal.