What do you think of my build? any suggestions?

suicideskull

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Hi, building my first PC ever and I wanna know what you guys think of it?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan

I plan on overclocking the ram, gpu(if its not overclocked already), and my cpu

Also not sure on my fan positions. I want 3 intakes and 2 exhausts. 2 front intakes and 1 intake on the bottom. 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust. There room for 1 more fan on top.

Should I have my psu fan facing up or bottom?

Since my fan come with a fan controller, which ones should I plug in em? Thinking of the intake fans I wanna control the most.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know!

Solution
If you were talking about compatibility issue between Trident X, Maximus VI Hero, and i7, then yes that combination will work. However, that's not the only combination that will work, in fact almost all RAMs will work with any motherboard as long as they are in the same generation aka DDR2 or DDR3.

Trident X is the most well known highest class RAM by G.Skill, but it comes with a good cost. If you are only looking for aesthetic and not overclocking the RAM, I would go with G.Skill Ripjaw X series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 It will match the black/red theme and still operate well.

Minor video editing will still not use the i7 to its full potential, I would save and downgrade to an i5 as Frontspac...
1. It's overkill if it's only for gaming.
2. The PSU isn't that great.
3. That fan set up that you've described would work well.
4. PSU fan should always face away from components. In your case, downward.
5. I would do use the PWM feature on intake fans since the exhaust fans are not as important and in some cases are not needed.

Frontspac

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Unless you're also going to be doing some quasi-serious video editing and encoding, the i7 is overkill. You could save ~$100 and get effectively identical performance getting an i5 i5-4670K.

As for your RAM, is it CAS 9? Comparable G.Skill RAM I could find online at those speeds is CAS10. If it's higher than CAS9 that than the increased clock speed is at best an even trade for the higher timings and a needless expenditure. RAM is mostly about sufficient quantity, you either have enough or you don't. RAM clock speed has a fairly minimal effect on performance compared to other components, and the latency (CAS) is more important.

In terms of overall performance, you're better off getting 1600 or 1866Mhz RAM at CAS9. I've had fancy RAM and cheap RAM and never really noticed a difference.

Honestly I'd recommend taking the money you save with modestly cheaper RAM and an i5 and funneling it into a 4GB version of the GTX 770. This will help future-proof your machine as 4GB replaces 2GB as the new standard for higher end graphics processing. In the vast majority of games, the GPU does the heavy lifting and is the most important component.

tl;dr i5 is = i7 for gaming, high-end RAM has high diminishing returns, a 4GB and/or higher clocked version of the GTX 770 would be much better performance per $$ than an i7 and 2133MHz RAM.

suicideskull

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

My RAM Cas is 9. I bought the Trident X because I heard is goes well with the hero and the i7. Ill be doing minor video editing and a lot of gaming. Planning on upgrading the GPU in 2-3 years. Is dual monitoring ok with my GPU? I have a dual monitor setup and I wanna know if it will effect the performance at all.

If you were talking about compatibility issue between Trident X, Maximus VI Hero, and i7, then yes that combination will work. However, that's not the only combination that will work, in fact almost all RAMs will work with any motherboard as long as they are in the same generation aka DDR2 or DDR3.

Trident X is the most well known highest class RAM by G.Skill, but it comes with a good cost. If you are only looking for aesthetic and not overclocking the RAM, I would go with G.Skill Ripjaw X series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 It will match the black/red theme and still operate well.

Minor video editing will still not use the i7 to its full potential, I would save and downgrade to an i5 as Frontspac has stated. However, if you really don't care about the budget, then you are welcome to get that i7.

3840 x 1080 (dual 1080p) will not require more than 2 GB of VRAM in order to operate to its full potential.

If you still haven't purchased the PSU, I would recommend this one http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=86285&vpn=HCG-750M&manufacture=Antec&promoid=1230 Keep in mind that you will not be able to dual graphics with card that has TDP higher than 200 (at least I don't recommend doing that). Although the new Maxwell cards should use less power consumption, so yo should be fine.

Solution