[Build Log] - System refresh with NZXT H440, H20, GTX 780 SLI

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
My first real attempt at a build log. Posting it here for everyone to see that it doesn't take a lot of experience or fancy tools to get great results. (I hope ;))

Below, in the next few posts I will describe the project and hopefully you can comment back with advice, support, or criticism, if that's what you want.

So this is not really an upgrade in the truest sense, but I have really been itching to mod my system.
2 weeks ago, I finally pulled the trigger and made the purchases on NCIX. Some of the items aren't in stock a.t.m., but I have lots of time.
Right now, I have bought a new case, 2 rads, and 2 reservoirs, and then the fans and tubing to go with them. I'm gonna tube that all up, make sure everything fits just right, mod the case where I have to, but stick with the original black/ red color scheme. Going to make this look perfect (well, as perfect as I can manage) with all sleeved wiring, all red led's and just take my time getting it ready before the system actually moves in.

Here's what I bought today.
The new NZXT H440 case. I have the original Phantom, and its been good to me, but this is just sic.
NZXT-H440-2.jpg

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Ok... this one kinda got away from me, and turned into a very expensive exercise in dealing with boredom, but... man it should be a very nice showcase and benchmarker when complete!

I finally pulled the trigger on the last of the parts I am going to be using. I'll list the whole thing below

NZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower
XSPC RX360 Triple Fan Radiator V3
XSPC RX240 Dual Fan Radiator V3 - if I can fit it, or else a HL Stealth 240
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan (X8)
XSPC Photon 170 Tube Glass (X2)
XSPC Razor 780/780TI Water Block
EVGA Pro SLI Bridge
XSPC Razor GTX Titan / 780 Backplate
Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump
EVGA Geforce GTX 780 - the pair to the one I currently run
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD - This will make it a full SSD rig. 750 GB in all
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan (X4) - need a few more in case I break some during the painting... may have happened already to one of them :'(
Primochill LRT 1/2 in 3/4 OD Tubing (20 Ft)
550lb Paracord – Red (100 ft) - will be sleeving everything in this red/ black/ white scheme
550lb Paracord – White (100 ft)
550lb Paracord – Black (100 ft)
Black Ice GTS Stealth 240 Gen 2 - my 240 XSPC rad probably will not fit without extensive case mods, so this is probably going to be used in its place. Wont know for sure until I have the case.
Swiftech 1/2IN X 3/4IN Compression Fittings (X 12) - I would have liked to use Bitspower but they had to be imported, so...
Swiftech 45 Degree Swivel Elbow – Black (X 4)
Swiftech 90 Degree Swivel Elbow – Black (X 4)
Modding Accessories, various - this includes some extra pins and connectors in case anything happens while sleeving, little accessories that will add up during the build
Mayhems Pastel Coolant Conc. – Ice White (X 2)
Mayhems Pastel Coolant Conc. – Red (X 2) - after looking around on various forums, I will be using the Mayhem coolants, 3 yr lifespan, and compatible with the Primochill LRT tubing I'm using. Picked up twice what I should need, because I want to be sure I have enough for the color I want.

Long ass list though, and it sure did add up.... but I'm going to make sure it is all worth it in the end ;D

Now for the waiting... stupid long ass delivery times, and case backorders... but I will continue to work on the sleeving. I am kinda lucky, as the 1250W XFX power supply I use is fully modular and came with 4 sets of PCI-E cables, so I have two sets I can sleeve right now, and have them ready to go. Same goes for the drive cables. The only one I will have to do with my system down is the 24 pin mobo cable. But that's ok, I built myself a good little pin removal tool by dremeling down a pair of tweezers and then splitting them apart.

I will post some more pics as I get some decent work done.

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I've gotten most of the orders in by now. BUT!! My H440 case is on backorder, and I probably will not receive it until near the end of March. SUCKS.

What that does do is give me the time and excuse to get things planned and some of the little and more tedious work done before it arrives. Like sleeving. And painting.

Here are some pics of the incoming products I'll be throwing into the case.
delivery1.JPG

DSC00162.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
So Friday, I got some of the paracord and the SSD. I ordered 12 fans all together, as I want to be prepared in case I mess some up with the sleeving and painting.

DSC00170.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
So now for some of the work I have gotten done in the last 2 weeks. First, I didn't have the sleeving, but knowing that it was on the way, I prepped. As the XFX 1250 is modular, I had 2 full sets of PCI-E cables to take apart and get ready. So I went about making a tool. My fiancée was kind enough to donate an old pair of her tweezers for the task, and after 5 min with a dremel and a grinding disk, we had a candidate.
tweezers1.JPG

Tweezers2.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Tool complete, and works great. So after that weekend, I now had the 2 PCI-E psu wires ready for sleeving, and the 2 SATA psu sets ready to go. I did lose a connector when a set of the pins wouldn't come out, but oh well, I have a few spares coming. I also got the first few fans separated and will pick up some paint to test it out today or tomorrow. Here's the first weekends work, not to much, but something.
weekendwork.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
So that covers the start f the work. Fans coming apart, wires separating. Now for some deeper more interesting stuff.

The LED replacements. The XSPC water blocks come standard with Blue LED's, and I went and purchased Superbright Red LEDS, both 3 and 5 mm. I also picked up the new resistors I will need, as the Superbright Red's had slightly different power requirements. Ended up changing them from the stock 91 ohm to 110 ohm, not a big difference but I'm happier with it being right. Plus I was finally able to use my Solder station for something other than work :p

Here is the pic log...
Starting point
DSC00151.JPG

Mid work pic
DSC00153.JPG

Unsleeved finished
DSC00155.JPG

and the test pics. AWESOME
DSC00160.JPG

DSC00161.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I did the 3 mm led that will be fitted into the XSPC water blocks next. I have a GPU block and a CPU block in my current system, and these will be making the transfer, so I removed the lighting from them to get them done. Once finished, I quickly fitted the new led's into the CPU block to get an idea of the result. Here is the pic
DSC00172.JPG

You can see here that the finished wire is fully sleeved and very hard to pick out in the background. I also thought ahead on the GPU block led's. As these will be in SLI, I will need a total of 4 red 3mm LED's, 2 on each side of the mobo. Rather than have 4 wires in there, I ran 2 dual LED strings, one or each side of the cards. This will mean I wont have to cross the mobo with any wires, and make management easier hopefully.
DSC00173.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
So that has documented my LED work up to this point. Now a quick look at the fans. I was able to separate the fan blades without much issue. I did lose a few of the tiny ass clips, but I have a box of c-clips, and found the right size to make them work. After taping them carefully, and 4 coats of paint... well you be the judge,
taping the internals
DSC00163.JPG

test fitting
DSC00174.JPG

sleeving
DSC00176.JPG

and with the painted rad
DSC00175.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Just a little note here. I spent all weekend sleeving the PCI-E cables to get them done. I may change the middle internal wire to a white color, and add some more white to the rest of the build, but here is a pic of the first try. Turned out pretty good as it was my first attempt at sleeving.
DSC00177.JPG

Simsreaper

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
So here is the result of the weekends sleeving.
DSC00179.JPG

And this is my built Superbright Red Led strings. Enough for the 3 XSPC water blocks I'll be using and the 2 reservoirs.
DSC00179.JPG