Opinion on this $500-ish build

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Hello.

The parts are here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/36IoS

I want your opinions on the stability for the build.

I'm building a new computer for a friend who wants to be able to game. He says "I want to play LoL on best settings for $500."

Yes I know that is a $70 hard drive. It's just a place holder for now. I know I can get a 1tb for that price. Will probably end up going with one of those $50 500gb drives.

What is the reliability on the baracuda hard drives from seagate?

Yes I know that is an expensive case. Though at the time of choosing it was only about $30. Guess I'll have to find a new case.

Though my most important question is the motherboard. I've not yet built with a FX socket before. Though I have heard that the newer FX CPUs wont work with older boards unless they have a BIOS update. The motherboard is an Asrock 960GM/U3S3 FX. Will the FX 6300 work with the motherboard? I've never had to do a BIOS update before.

I might also change the cpu from the 6300 to the 4300.

Any other questions or information let me know.

tcb1005

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014

I have never had a Western Digital Hard drive fail on me. My old seagate barricuda on the other hand.....

Oh and keep the CPU as that is an excellent CPU for the price.

Raggamuffyn

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
if there's anything I've learnt as a tech, you can buy a 'reputable' brand and it still fail on you. Have had so many co-workers swear by certain brands only to have them come back to me a month later and say their hard drive failed, so just buy one and cross your fingers. All in all though the build is pretty cool, I'd try and stretch the budget to get a 750ti instead of the 750 just to pull as much out of that little card as possible.