My 1st Computer Hardware Build w/ Parts List

jrk5230

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I'm interested in purchasing the case and all other core components to build a computer. I'm looking for a build that can handle the newer comp games and run a few programs at a time efficiently. I've been doing research on products and hardware online using google. I used the pcpartpicker.com to build this computer which gives the best prices found online for each. Are these prices shown on pcpartpicker.com the best prices I will find or do you know of a better site or place to find them?

Also, I need a good graphics card to support gaming. Does this mean I cant have a CPU with integrated graphics? Or can I still use the Asus Radeon HD 7770 in conjunction with the CPU's integrated graphics?

Do you think the Intel Core i5 - 4440 is a bit overkill for what I'm looking to achieve? (possible downgrade to save money)

Please review my build and critique it wherever necessary! Looking for any tips from experienced techs and builders regarding my intentions for this computer and the parts I have selected!

My budget is $800-$1100

Heres the build I'm looking at:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/37SV3

I'm not sure what to go with in terms of the RAM and am looking for help. For this build what should I go for 1x8, 2x4, or 4x2? I'd like to be able to upgrade this computer in the future if needed. From what I'm reading, the 2x4 sounds like the way to go.

I assume thermal paste is a must when building the comp for the CPU, also?

UncreativeName

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Theres no need to get the Asus Z87-A since you can't overclock the i5 4440. Go with something like the Asus H87-PRO and save money. As for the RAM go for 2x4gb as that takes advantage of dual channel giving you slightly better performance and you can upgrade to 16gb in the future. If your not buying an after market cooler then there is no need to buy thermal paste as the intel coolers will come with it pre applied.

Trezero

Honorable
Mar 11, 2014
seems like a lot of money for a lot of "meh". Prices and reviews are a good place to check up as well as here. however you are starting from scratch and having to purchase all periphials is a handicap on pc building and really cuts into the funds. i started my first build years ago and it is a constant upgrade process which leaves no shadow of your initial build. If your serious about building and gaming and believe this will become a hobby for you as it has for many, then prepare to be unsatisfied as a system is never complete for an enthusiast. Good Luck on your build!!! Keep calm!!! and remember it will work... eventually.

OT: i would knock off the paste, change the memory to something 1600mhz, stick with 4gb sticks, bump the power supply up to 650 minimum, find a cheaper ssd, pay the extra money for a unlocked processor or save the money and not buy that board. would definately recommend a board with debug led for all builders as its very helpful. also this will leave it so the only upgrade needed later is expanding the ram to 16gb, adding an aftermarket cooler, second gfx card. no complete system overhaul. better periphials.

jrk5230

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Also, I have a 2 GB Graphics card chosen, would 1 GB suffice or do you think 2 GB is what I should stick with in this setup?

jrk5230

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

Whats the reason for jumping up to a 650W minimum power supply? My build is a couple hundred watts below that. Is it strictly for future upgrades to make sure the power supply is still powerful enough for possible upgrades later?