New graphics card on old build

GattsBerserk

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hello all,

I am at the point where I would like to improve my systems gaming performance but I find myself in a situation where most upgrades would call for a new system build completely. The only option I have left would be to upgrade my graphics card, issue is, would it be worth it and be enough of a performance upgrade? and if so, to what?

Current specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black
MB: Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 ATX AM3
Mem: 12gb total
Power: Corsair 750TX
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked

This system is air cooled and I do have an SSD and a couple decently fast HDDs.

Eggz

Distinguished
You're looking at putting a video card worth roughly the value of the rest of your computer. That can work for a time. You'd have to upgrade in steps. Maybe should plan to upgrade your board next year. If it's temporary, and you buy a card that will be good for more than a year, I'd say there's no problem. You won't hurt anything, and you'll also be certain to get the more out of your other hardware, even if you might not get 100% out of your new card at first. Good luck!

Jfrag

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I would start with a grapich card and the like Eggz says pick a motherboard after that. For grapich card a would pick a 780 or a r9 290 or something like that.

GattsBerserk

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Alright, Eggz pretty much has in mind what I would like to do, over time make the adjustments to my build, I just feel weird throwing a powerhouse in an older build.

Thanks!