Which PC Config Better Suited For Gaming ? Intel Or AMD ?

r00tcl0bber

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
I have jot down two configs & i would like to know which one the below is better build, better value for money, & wouldn't be a bottleneck for GAMING atleast in near future.

1st Config:

Intel Core i7 4770k
Zotac GTX 780 AMP! Edition 3GB / Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X OC
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Corsair H100i Hydro (Liquid) Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 2X4GB (9-10-9-27)
Samsung 840 PRO Series 256GB SSD
Seagate 3TB Barracuda
Corsair RM 850
Cooler Master HAF X

2nd Config

AMD FX8350 Black Edition
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
2 X Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC
Corsair H100i Hydro (Liquid) Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 2X4GB (9-10-9-27)
Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD
Seagate 3TB Barracuda
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W
Cooler Master HAF XM

The 1st Config will cost little more, but 2nd one seems better build for GAMING. Any help plz ?

Thanks

well based on how you have labeled it, the second one is better simply because it has 2 gpu. that being said, the 4770k and single 780 is better than an 8350 with a single 290 or 290x.

if you must get 2 gpu, then go for the second config.

there are a few other things to note for gaming specific

1. you dont ned expensive ram, can save money and go down to 1600mhz and not lose a single fps in games
2. the 780 is better than the 290 or 290x until you get to either 4k, or 3 monitors (even then, they become tied)
3. the 4770k is quite a bit more powerful than the 8350 in almost every application ESPECIALLY GAMING and multi threaded applications. the 8350 is more comparable to the i5, but does beat the i7 in some non gaming applications purely due to the number of cores
4. dual card solutions do not always scale perfectly, and with the 290 specifically, it adds a LOT of heat to your case (having 2 of them will greatly increase overall temps of both cards, as well as your cpu temps) if you can, always go with only one strong card over two (so say 780ti for lack of an amd equivalent, but then do note the price difference as well.) as it stands, there is not a game that the 780 cannot max out at 1080p and even 1440p unless the game is poorly optimized (obviously the same statement is true for the 290).
5. you don't need a super expensive motherboard unless you are doing sub-zero cooling. in light of this, just get a well reviewed mid grade board that has
a) the color scheme you want
b) the right expansion slots for your needs
c) the right back panel io for your needs
a $500 motherboard vs a $150 motherboard again will not give a single fps boost (maybe 1% in the best case scenario)

everything else about each build is great, and while i may be advocating towards the intel side, i do stress that the fps gains of the 4770 vs the 8350 are at max 5% (skyrim is really the only game with a more than 10% difference). If you want the intel equivalent to the 8350, then the i5-4670k is still slightly better in most games, and still allows for overclocking, thus being a better value (will not bottleneck even a 780ti so no worries there)

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
1nd one is better because........ I honestly don't care about what CPU I use. Some say Intel is better, other AMD.
Me, I'd go with Intel since it's more mainstream... And go with the Sapphire R9 270X

And using only what is mainstream is TERRIBLE practice...it's like equating computer parts to fashion accessories and is greatly insulting. please go become more informed about the actual performance of each cpu, the specific uses, and what each company is strong at. If you wanted to spend less on a cpu, AMD is a great decision.

The i7-4770k is a more powerful CPU. Below is a link to high-end CPU benchmarks. Also, the Samsung 840 Pro is slightly faster than the 840 Evo, so the first configuration would be my pick. I actually own a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro. It's stupid fast. Also, I/O is usually where the speed bottleneck occurs, so the faster the I/O hardware, typically the faster and better performance for the whole PC.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

r00tcl0bber

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions. Actualy i would be using only 1 monitor for gaming at 1080p with all the graphic settings maxed out. I would like to play games like Crysis 3, BF 4 & forthcoming high end games like GTA V , etc. at maxed out graphic settings. I have no plans for 4k gaming or using multiple monitors.

Which config would be best suited for me ?

I have 2 more questions:

I have a doubt if FX8350 might get bottleneck in near future, even if it get two R9 290s, so is 1st config is a better choice ?

If GTX 780 is more than enough for my gaming needs, or R9 290X would be a wiser choice ?

r00tcl0bber

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Actualy in 2nd config i could get two R9 290s & also the 2nd config will cost little cheaper than 1st one. So i'm only wondering if 2nd config is better choice for Gaming ? ..or the 1st one is better worth extra bucks ?

one 780 is more than enough for your gaming needs, and sli tends to work ever so slightly better than crossfire (less heat, less power, scaling is about the same though) no, the 8350 will not bottleneck you, but even after you overclock it, it's roughly on par with the i5 still. I do not like to recommend dual card configurations, so i'm still going to recommend configuration one. a 780 will max out crysis 3 nicely, and even if you get the rm 850 watt psu, you can still add a second 780 without needing to upgrade your psu (that being said, the rm 850 would also run 2 290's just fine)

not sure where you are buying from, but the 2 290 config should still cost more than the single 780 config. try some smart shopping (maybe get the i5 instead of the i7, as it still beats the 8350 inmost games)

I agree that one 780 is far more than enough power in the GPU department. It's like using a hand grenade in a firecracker fight. LOL I would still go with the 1st configuration. Later on if you want to add more GPU power, you always have that option. You may get more "component" in the 2nd option, but the first option gives you more quality of component.

r00tcl0bber

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Yes i too would like to go for 1st config, & could plan to upgrade with one more GTX 780 in sli in future.

But i have one BiG doubt regarding the SLI. If i populate with 1 more GTX 780, my PCI E slots will now work with dual x8 (x8 - x8), frm single card on x16. So wouldn't it cause any performance decrease in cards performance ?

On the other hand AMD that comes lot cheaper than Intel borads, that Sabertooth MoBo in 2nd config, will have both the R9 290s work at x16, (x16 - x16). Could you throw some light regarding this ?

You don't need an expensive intel motherboard either. performance from a $500 motherboard will be the exact same as a $150 board. the only things you get with those better boards are more slots, as well as sub-zero cooling compatibility (and usually better built in sound card)

r00tcl0bber

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Haha.. its not like i can get two R9 290s at the cost of one GTX 780.

Its like if i go for two R9 290s, i'll cut shot my budget by removing i7 processor, PRO SSD, GTX 780/R9 290X & CM Full Tower Cabinet, & even the MoBO AMD costs less than that of intel, so in this way i can save enough to get one more R9 290.

Ok, but then you have to realize the drawbacks of the dual 290.
1. excessive heat, not being biased, it is just a reality
2. will affect the heat of your cpu negatively
3. imperfect scaling
4. amd drivers for crossfire are reviewed as worse than that of nvidia for sli (again, just another fact based on research)
5. Mantle. It is indeed true that mantle is great for dual card solutions. that being said, microsoft has rumored direct x 12 to do the same thing soon
6. they are fast cards, but typically in dual card configs without water cooling, you WILL hit thermal throttling (can still happen with the nvidia cards, but is just more likely with a card that is set to try to run at 95c
7. apples to apples, just because you have an amd processor, does not mean you need an amd video card. a 780 on a 8350 is still faster than a 290 on an 8350. a 290 doesnt magically synchronise better with an amd cpu.

the list goes on, but im basically suggesting the 780 over the 290 (especially if you are in north america, the 780 is just a way better deal). as far as the processors go, they have a much more minimal impact on the gaming side of things, and so the 8350 becomes equivalent to the i5 rather than trying to compare it to the i7.

r00tcl0bber

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Thanks a lot for all your help. I would go with my 1st config. :)

I have one last question. As i've done my research on cards, i came to know R9 290 give competitive performance close to GTX 780, & its price is also far less than a GTX 780. So should i save my money & go for R9 290 ?

Or should i spend few extra bucks & get R9 290X instead of GTX 780 which is termed as titan killer, & gives better performance than GTX 780 ?

As far as my gaming needs are concerned, its simply like playing high end games at maxed out settings on 1080p display. I don't plan for 4K gaming or having multiple monitors.

And as far as heat is concerned, with Sapphire Tri-X aftermarket cooler, i think heat isn't any big problem now, as it happend with the stock coolers.

Plz let e know, which would be more value for money card for my gaming needs, Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC OR Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X OC OR Zotac GTX 780 AMP! Edition ?

well look at it this way, the 780 can be overclocked past the 290x AND the titan. the term titan killer is a marketing term. i would only be looking between the 780 and the 290. the 780 is faster, cooler and uses marginally less power (doesnt use a whole lot less power) heat is still a problem for the 290 even with the aftermarket coolers because all that excess heat is not put into the case, thus affecting other temps.

780 is faster, cooler, most people would argue that it is more well built
the 290 is cheaper, performs almost as well as the 780, but outputs a LOT more heat.

the decision is yours and yours alone based on how much you want to spend. it's very similar to cars. two cars may go the same speed, but you know one is built better, and that one is likely more expensive as well.

TRENDING THREADS