ViewSonic VX2770 Monitor Issue or NVdia Issue?

pzzs7f

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I bought a VX2770 monitor from viewsonic as a main monitor in a dual-monitor setup. I have an ASUS Nvidia GTX 550Ti driving both screens. My secondary monitor is an ACER 23" that I have had for several years. My issue is that the ViewSonic monitor will begin to flicker, then will lose sync momentarily...screen goes blank, ViewSonic flashes on screen, then resyncs. It will then repeat this cycle many times (up to 15 or so).

I have tried swapping cables between the monitors and the issue stays with the ViewSonic. I have tried connecting the ViewSonic to a laptop, same issue but not as bad or often. I have swapped out cables and used several VGA, DVI cables...issue remains.

All the while my old ACER has no issues with flickering or sync.

My question is, could this be the graphics card or a power supply issue? If wither of these, would I not see the same issue on my old ACER as well? Or could the Viewsonic be more sensitive to the card or PS and show the issue, while the ACER does not?

Also, ViewSonic swapped out the monitor with a replacement, so I find it hard to believe it's the monitor.

Solution
The monitor seems to be the likely culprit to me, particularly as you're still having the same problem when it's connected to a laptop. Did you use the same type of cable to connect the laptop as you did the desktop? If so, I'd try a different one if your laptop supports any others. If not, you could try it in a TV instead.

When ViewSonic replaced your monitor, could they have given you a refurbished one? It's happened to me before.
The monitor seems to be the likely culprit to me, particularly as you're still having the same problem when it's connected to a laptop. Did you use the same type of cable to connect the laptop as you did the desktop? If so, I'd try a different one if your laptop supports any others. If not, you could try it in a TV instead.

When ViewSonic replaced your monitor, could they have given you a refurbished one? It's happened to me before.

Solution
Call me suspicious, but I'd say that your monitor is definitely the cause. Screen flickering can also occur due to an incorrect refresh rate, but this is set from within Control Panel, hence why the problem shouldn't occur when the monitor is connected to the laptop. I wouldn't expect an incorrect refresh rate to force the monitor to re-sync either.

pzzs7f

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
could it be related to the computer's power supply? if it was underpowered? Although I would think if that was the case, I'd experience the issue on both monitors.