Connect Dual Monitors with DVI-D ports, to a laptop which has single display port

sameerp13

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I am trying to connect two monitors with DVI-D ports on them via a display port on my laptop. Currently I have an adapter from display port to DVI-D connecting one of the monitor. How do I connect the second monitor? I have a VGA port on the laptop which I can use to connect the second monitor but resolution is not good enough.

Solution
yes, though I wouldn't game on it... I can't promise the best refresh rates or anything. But you can get dual monitors.

There are ACTUAL external video cards that you can get. They aren't anything super high end, but like a 5450 that you can get pretty good fps at decent settings.

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Well, that is kinda complicated, your best solution would be to buy an external video card if you want good resolution. You aren't going to get great resolution out of a vga as you said, and a splitter would just cause both screens to get duplicated to the same thing.

What laptop is this?

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
yes, though I wouldn't game on it... I can't promise the best refresh rates or anything. But you can get dual monitors.

There are ACTUAL external video cards that you can get. They aren't anything super high end, but like a 5450 that you can get pretty good fps at decent settings.

Solution

Mikey JEE

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
It may not help you, but laptops that have the correct GDP, Matrox has a VGA to dual DVI adapter for $200+ (DualHead2Go DE). From VGA port I have 2 DVI 1200x1920 monitors in extended desktop 1200x3840 on HP DVEnvy6 with NVIDIA 630M (running Windows 8 64bit Professional). Refresh rate is 59Hz so not a perfect 60Hz. Matrox does make a VGA to triple DVI monitor adapter but the vertical resolution was not high enough for me on my laptop with my GDP.

Hope helps someone,

Mikey JEE

Mikey JEE

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
External video may be better. The laptop GDPs seem to have limitations. For instance I could have spent an extra $150 for an NVIDIA 650M plus large sums for 5GB very fast VRAM. However the 650M even with 5GB did not have any better 3 monitor support for the other Matrox adapter than the 630M.

TRENDING THREADS