Razer Blade Laptop Updated with New IGZO Display, GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Maybe for the 14inch segment it's the most powerful. But the most powerful laptops I've seen use desktop grade i7's, and dual 780's with up to 32gb of ram. But I will say, it "could" have the prettiest screen, but I don't know enough about that technology to say. Personally I think we need OLED screens, those are beautiful, love it on my Vita and S4.

GTX 870m is still Kepler... While GTX 860m and GTX 850m are Maxwell. Nvidia is still sucking money out of Kepler 2 generations later, I mean... Come on! Bring Maxwell already. If just AMD could put out some more competitiveness, so we finally can move on to the high-end Maxwell GPUs.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
The display has been a major weakness of Razer's laptops in the past, so this is good to see. Unfortunately from what I've read scaling in Windows 8.1 still sucks so I'd imagine the experience on these high pixel density Windows laptops probably won't be the greatest until Microsoft finally decides to deliver a compelling solution (who knows when that will be).

I almost wish Razer had gone with an 860M instead, although I can understand why they didn't. I would've taken Maxwell, the additional gaming on-the-go battery life, and cooler/quieter operation if given the choice.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Am I the only one who doesn't want high resolution on a small screen? The GPU can't power it, and it makes everything tiny. (Yes, I know you can adjust the scaling, but it doesn't work well in my experience)

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hopefully it's better than their other products, especially at this price. My experience with them has been unreliable at best over the long run. I have quit buying Razer products after I couldn't keep a mouse of theirs working for more than 6 months.

Hopefully it's better than their other products, especially at this price. My experience with them has been unreliable at best over the long run. I have quit buying Razer products after I couldn't keep a mouse of theirs working for more than 6 months.
I have had a Razer Naga (mouse) and Razer Anansi (keyboard) for over 2.5 years and are still going on strong.

WebsWalker

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
That's a 100w gpu. Can a 14 inch laptop dissipate ~135W ?
Actually if you have a look at the "laptop" panter E5D you'll see than a laptop can actually dissipate much more than that. The panter propose 2 780 and an Xeon E5V2 if I recall well the spec

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No Gsync? $200 extra for 256gb SSD? Kepler? small 14" screen? I guess they don't want my money yet.
1) Gsync currently bumps costs of any desktop screen by at least $200, as we've seen.2) I agree, overpriced3) I wouldn't whine just because it's Kepler. I doubt that GTX 870M will be weaker than any cards beneath it.4) 14'' screen is actually perfect, though I personally prefer 15.6''. The machine is highly portable and at home you hook it up to external screen of your preferred size. But they'll have a 17'' version of it too soon, they always do.I'm surprised by how hateful TH readers are of Razer. Previous Blade got blamed for mediocre GPU, now the current one is blamed for older arch + maybe not being able to cool it. Previous Blade 14 got blamed for HD+ resolution, now QHD+ is "too much" for you. (Though I gotta agree here, I'd rather have a smaller price and just a good IPS FHD) I mean... you folks will ALWAYS find SOMETHING to whine about. I'm following Razer CEO on Facebook and he's spot-on about "haters", that's what most of you are, for no reason at all. Nobody asks you to buy Blade and it's not a threat to Windows ecosystem - it's just a premium product for people willing to pay extra cash for portability, brand name etc.

They're not the same people. The people who wanted a better GPU complained about the old Blade. They're happy now, but the people who want a cooler computer complain about the new one. The people who wanted a higher res screen complained about the old Razer. They're happy now, but the people who want better performance at a lower res complain about the new one.

As Lincoln said, you can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Most companies get around this problem by offering different models and customization options. But I guess Razer is pulling an Apple and pretending the design they've come up with is the best for all of the people all of the time. That's probably why they catch flak here. Techies prefer to tweak the hardware to fit their preferences, not change their preferences to match the hardware.

3200x1800? pointless... that 780m can't drive that screen ~ i hope the people suckered into buying that laptop like playing games at 10fps... cause that's all you'll get out of the 780m in that resolution.

I suppose they could turn down the resolution and game in 1600x900... but then you have to ask, "why are you paying $3200 for a "gaming" laptop with hardware it can't even use

This is endemic in the computer industry. Plenty of products with mismatched hardware just to throw out big numbers and flashy names, even if those products can't work together as well as a more modest build. 14" screen is bad enough... throw in the insane resolution, the under powered hardware for it, and the insane cost and you're looking at a marketing gimmick, not a gaming laptop.

frelled

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
3200x1800? pointless... that 780m can't drive that screen ~ i hope the people suckered into buying that laptop like playing games at 10fps... cause that's all you'll get out of the 780m in that resolution.I suppose they could turn down the resolution and game in 1600x900... but then you have to ask, "why are you paying $3200 for a "gaming" laptop with hardware it can't even useThis is endemic in the computer industry. Plenty of products with mismatched hardware just to throw out big numbers and flashy names, even if those products can't work together as well as a more modest build. 14" screen is bad enough... throw in the insane resolution, the under powered hardware for it, and the insane cost and you're looking at a marketing gimmick, not a gaming laptop.
Totally agree. You are wasting money purchasing this. The Clevo w230st is a much better value for what you get with a 1080p screen and a 765m. Even at that resolution, the video card can only pump out medium detail with minimal AA and AF. 1600x900 seems to be the sweet spot for native resolution and gaming with high detail. My ideal laptop would be a 14 inch laptop with at most a 1080p(would actually prefer the 900p screen at 14 inches though) screen and one of these new Maxwell 860m chips for efficient battery usage. Include a Haswell with an Iris Pro for lower power gaming and gaming on battery. Something like this at around $1000-1200 price point of the w230st would be the sweet spot for me.

Deletive

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Is that just a macbook pro coloured black? you have see the speaker grills on the side and everything. I would have been happy with a 860m to give this whole system like 70 sum watts... instead of about 137 watts. the battery life would make me more then happy.

game junky

Distinguished
The only reason most companies elected to double the DPI was to increase the amount of icons viewable in the start bar for Win8 (I know - hilarious). My Yoga 2 Pro is rocking that display res - I am a movie buff and 1080p bluray rips look pretty sexy on it even though it isn't up-converting. Regardless, this is a good rig even though I don't think it's worth that much. Razer has become the Mac Book Pro on the Windows PC world - good looks, good design, but over priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS