ASUS M51AC Tower - Recently installed GPU upgrade - Cooling questions

jbulls93

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Greetings everyone, I recently purchased an ASUS tower (model: M51AC). Here are some of the specs:
16 GB RAM
2 TB Hard drive
Nvidia gt625 video card (upgraded to NVIDIA GTX660)

After being unable to run relatively basic games at full settings, I zero'd in on my video card as the limiting factor. After installing the upgraded card, all my graphical woes ended and I have not hit it's limits yet.

Where I am concerned is in the cooling department. My tower has no fans blowing inwards anywhere, and I am hoping to add a unit to suck fresh air into the tower so the rear fans can do their job removing it more effectively. I have seen peak GPU temperatures of 84 degrees celcius, supposedly my GPU can handle up to 98 degrees C. I fear that when hot weather comes along and I play some more demanding games, that overheating will become an issue that will harm my computer in the long run.

My tower has no additional space on the front or top made to house a fan, so I figured it would have to be completely custom.

What are my options, and how will a new fan be "wired in" to the existing setup.

Thanks ahead of time!

Jan 25, 2014
well you could always just buy a new case. Something with more fans better airflow dust filters. that is just my thoughts. if you want i guess you could remove the side panel and cut out a hole to mount a 80-200mm fan and dust filters can be found on amazon or newegg. As for pluging the fan inthere should be and open spot somewhere in there for it to go. Up to you if you if your not afraid to cut the side and have the fans go for it mods are always fun, if you dont like the case get one you like

M05K

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
Hello jbulls93, I have the same model Asus M51AC with an i5 4430S CPU 6 GB RAM and the GT 625, I cant play basic games like you said with this graphic card, im going to upgrade my card soon. You think its an graphic card problem?

Thank you :D