Need GPU Upgrade Opinions

TheDeLuca

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
So I bought a HP Pavilion with an A8-6500, and 4 GB of RAM. I must say I really enjoy it. The only issue is that it is pretty obvious the HD 8570D GPU is holding back the true potential of this computer. So I need an effective duel-graphics compatible GPU to really get this PC to a fair gaming level. I have about $100 to spend, maybe a tad more if really worth it for an upgraded GPU to combine.

I've been thinking of the HD 7750 Crossfire but read some mixed reviews and also don't know if its completely compatible with my A8.

Any suggestions?

Solution
GTA IV is a bad port, and it is CPU limited more than anything else. Try to install the latest patch for the game it may help you a little with the performance. Upgrading to 8 GB RAM is a good idea as well, although most games don't use more than 4 GB anyway. If you don't want to invest in a PSU unit at the moment then the 750ti is a solid upgrade option, but like I said with more games supporting Mantle, your APU may get significant performance increase in many of these games, and hence I recommended upgrading your PSU and getting an AMD card instead.

tsangwich10

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Just get a 750 or 750 ti. Dual graphics do increase the performance of the graphics on the APU but a dedicated gpu will do much better than even the two in dual graphics. The 750 and 750ti do not require an additional power connector so they should fit into the computer and deliver much greater performance than the dual graphics configurations.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I would get the R7 265 instead if your power supply can take it; it is 10$ cheaper than the GTX 750ti and beats it in almost every game benchmark here:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1127?vs=1130
Beside that you get Mantle support which can prove rather benificial in titles like Thief and BF4 and there could be more titles supporting it in the future.
And yes, your APU can handle this card just fine.

tsangwich10

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

If it's a prebuilt the psu won't handle the r7 265, it uses twice as much power as the 750 ti. Also I don't think the r7 265 is on sale anywhere, was supposed to be released soon but who knows when it will be released. The 750 and 750 ti were built for pre built machines like the hp he has because it uses so little power and doesn't need an extra 6pin power.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
With an APU like this it would be a better investment to get an AMD card; with more games supporting Mantel, you may benefit greatly from this upgrade. I would personally recommend buying a better PSU and upgrading your budget for the card and buying a better GPU in the future. What resolution do you game at?

TheDeLuca

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
I'm still trying to find a good resolution to play at. I want it to run easy on performance and I'm getting use to a new screen as well. Usually around 1280 x 768 I believe it was. Also I'm mainly trying to improve my performance running GTA IV. My CPU is only using around 46% running it however my RAM is using about 90% around 3.2 GB of memory. Would I be better off upgrading to 8 GB RAM and getting a Radeon HD 7750 XFX or just getting a high end GPU instead? Right now I'm getting 22-30 FPS running IV on low. Averages 25 or so frames.

jacob9hawkes

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Woops, posted the wrong comment in this post, damn multitasking lol :)

But to answer, go for a GTX 750 Ti or an R7 265 if your PSU can support it :)

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
GTA IV is a bad port, and it is CPU limited more than anything else. Try to install the latest patch for the game it may help you a little with the performance. Upgrading to 8 GB RAM is a good idea as well, although most games don't use more than 4 GB anyway. If you don't want to invest in a PSU unit at the moment then the 750ti is a solid upgrade option, but like I said with more games supporting Mantle, your APU may get significant performance increase in many of these games, and hence I recommended upgrading your PSU and getting an AMD card instead.

Solution