Looking to update monitor or graphics card or both!

jsmessick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Alright, so I have some cash to spend to update my current system which is about 3 years old. I have about $500 +/- about $100 that I would like to spend. I currently have the following key parts of my build:

• ASUS VH242H 23.6 1080p monitor
    GTX 460 1GB GPU
    4 GB ram
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU
I was considering purchasing a new monitor like the BenQ XL2720Z* 144hz (refurbished and with a $50 promo code would cost $327), OR a Qnix 27" 1440p monitor. But i'm not sure if my graphics card can handle either of them.

I was also going to buy 4 more gb of 1600 ram and a 256gb SSD (currently have 750gb HDD).

What would be the best use of my money to get the most out of my system? I play both CONSOLE and PC game (specifically skyrim, LoL, FF, and am looking to buy some new ones for this summer). I also use the PC for general use such as excel spreadsheets, photoshop, web, movies, etc. PLEASE HELP!

Solution
I agree with the 120Hz argument. Unless you have a system that will push that framerate constantly, it isn't worth it. Usually, it's a dual card setup. I'd hang onto your current LCD and just upgrade your video card to something better. You can throw in 4GB more RAM as it will help, especially if you are exhausting your existing 4GB. Photoshop loves RAM.

SSDs are also great and they make you all around computer experience more pleasant.

I am assuming that $500 needs to include the SSD and RAM so you can't throw the whole wad at a video card. Otherwise I'd say go for a GTX780. A GTX770 may be in your future then. What is your existing power supply? You will need to make sure that is adequate.

GTX770...

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Well, the entire 60hz vs 120hz debate has pros and cons, but it doesn't matter how fast your refresh rate is if your card cant push the required fps out. I read an article that said 120hz is only worthwhile if you have a GPU that can push 120fps. Don't know how accurate that really is, I have no way to test it. However, I can tell you right now that 500 bucks would get you a very nice card. For instance, my gtx 780 can push about 100 fps on pretty much any game at 1080p. It also overclocks very nicely. Or if you're an AMD fan, try a r9 290 (if you can find one). Honestly, I've seen side by side comparisons of 60hz and 120hz and its not a deal breaker for me. If I had to choose, I'd rather have the powerful GPU.

I agree with the 120Hz argument. Unless you have a system that will push that framerate constantly, it isn't worth it. Usually, it's a dual card setup. I'd hang onto your current LCD and just upgrade your video card to something better. You can throw in 4GB more RAM as it will help, especially if you are exhausting your existing 4GB. Photoshop loves RAM.

SSDs are also great and they make you all around computer experience more pleasant.

I am assuming that $500 needs to include the SSD and RAM so you can't throw the whole wad at a video card. Otherwise I'd say go for a GTX780. A GTX770 may be in your future then. What is your existing power supply? You will need to make sure that is adequate.

GTX770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

Did you have an SSD in mind? I like the Samsung Evo or Pros and the Intel drive. Crucial M500's are decent as well and usually have a good deal on newegg.

Solution

jsmessick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks for the help, yeah the $500 would need to encompass all of the upgrades preferably. Right now I have a 600W PSU. Also could you explain the difference between the SSD's that you mentioned? I've seen them priced differently but was never sure why if they are the same size. Thanks!

What make/model 600W PSU is it? It should work for a GTX770 just fine if it is anywhere half way decent.

As far as SSD's. They differ as different brands use different controllers and technology. Samsung comes with the best SSD software, the Samsung Magician. It includes cloning software and general monitoring and some other utilities. Intel has the SSD toolbox which is basic, but gets the job done. I don't think any other brands have any sort of software besides those two. The Samsung Evo uses TLC NAND chips with store 3 bits per cell as opposed to what most use, which is MLC. That uses 2 bits per cell. The write endurance on TLC is much less than MLC, but for a consumer SSD you aren't writing a ton to the SSD so it should last you a number of years. The size of the SSD also factors into that. There is also the write speed of the SSD. The Crucual M500 is the lower of the ones I listed, but realistically you probably won't notice. I'll sort of cut myself off right there as I could ramble forever on this.

I would honestly look at the Samsung EVO. You can look at the PRO, but they are more expensive and unless you are really going to be given your SSD a workout, the EVO is a good choice. There is also some cool tech built into them that you could read up on. I'd probably choose Intel as my second choice and Crucial as third.

jsmessick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

It's an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

Okay thanks i'll take a look at it. So you would suggest a 256 gb ssg, some more ram and like a GTX 770? I know that will help with performance but have any way idea about selling my current display (currently selling for $130 pushing my budget to $630) on amazon and putting some more money into a 1440p or 144hz display with the new gpu? Or possibly getting a lower gpu, like the 760 or 750 superclocked one and then trying to use the extra money for an updated display? I'm not sure if thats even worth it though.

James Baker

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
With your current graphics card 120Hz isn't and option you would need to get a top end one in which case you wouldn't be able to afford the screen any way, so the only way you could do this 120Hz thing is if you buy a bit top end gpu. For 120Hz go with 780ti for 1440p try an overclocked r9 290x 4gb and only once you have either of those things can you get a nice screen to run it. I would also suggest you buy a 750 watt power supply for about 50$ you'll need to save a bit more money