Google Nexus 8 Android Tablet: All Hardware Rumors So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
still no SD slot?
Google will never put in an SD slot on their branded devices. The fact is they are trying to break SD functionality in Android altogether. Likely to try to get more people on their cloud services.

InvalidError

Titan

Google refuses to put an SD slot (or OTG UMS storage for USB sticks) on their devices because choice of alternate supposedly "confuses the user" but I suspect the real reason is Google does not want to pay for the SD and xFAT licenses while they also want to "nudge" people toward cloud-based services.

It isn't Google forgetting or not understanding why people want an SD slot. They just do not want one in their home-brand products - the first and only Nexus product that has had an SD-slot was the Nexus One. I would not be surprised if Google ran into licensing issues back then and decided to drop external storage support because of that.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
To be honest they could just put out the Nexus 7 hardware with a larger screen. I really don't get having so many different sizes out there. Just diluting things too far.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
To be honest they could just put out the Nexus 7 hardware with a larger screen. I really don't get having so many different sizes out there. Just diluting things too far.
It is called choice!
Yes look how having 200 TV channels of 'choice' really improved the overall quality. Lots of 'choice' isn't always a good thing.

InvalidError

Titan

There is some truth to it: most of those 200 channels are just re-runs or time-shifted versions of content that could fit in maybe 30 channels so you end up with a ton of cost overhead for duplication across those other 150-170 other channels that produce little to no original content.

Having so many devices from so many manufacturers (not necessarily Google-branded) does mean there are massive amounts of mostly redundant R&D and manufacturing costs going into producing nearly identical devices and this does technically mean higher costs due to a much larger amount of up-front costs getting amortized on much fewer devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.