Long Asus boot logo during POST advice?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
I have a Asus H81M-PLUS motherboard.

After finishing building my PC and installing windows 7 SP1 and motherboard drivers my PC booted up quickly with no problems. The only device attached at the time was a wireless (non Bluetooth) USB receiver for keyboard and mouse. My PC booted up really quick cause its running off a SSD. Everything worked. No problems so far.

However just recently I notice the ASUS boot logo during POST takes a long time and when I press DEL to enter the UEFI Bios I get no acknowledgement on screen. The Asus boot logo stays there for a long time then windows 7 loads up quickly as usual. I notice this problem after installing windows updates, WiFi USB drivers, necessary programs etc. as would everyone would after a fresh windows install.

Whats causing this Asus boot Logo during POST to stay on screen for a long time? I still able to go into the UEFI Bios by pressing DEL button 30 times because I don't get onscreen acknowledgement that it is entering BIOS.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I presume you didn't change the BIOS setting for quick boot, or whatever that BIOS manufacturer calls it.
Did you follow the normal changes required for SSD installation of Win7 as opposed to using a HDD?
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

It doesn't sound like you have had it long enough to build up resource wasting crap and registry errors that CCleaner can fix:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports other than KB/Mouse?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Yeah I followed the SSD guide that is changing to AHCI in bios and disabling secure boot cause that's for Windows 8 I believe. And the only other change I did in the BIOS is correcting the time and that's it. After these changes I had no problems. The problem happened after installing programs, updates and installing the TP link wifi USB adapter in a windows environment.

The TP link Wifi USB adapter, headphones at front are plugged in and these devices are working fine.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Ok thanks i try that when i get home.

Can software in a windows environment really affect the POST (non windows environment) at boot up?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the driver is looking for an outside device (like your router) and for some reason it has trouble communicating with it, yes.
But that was just a hunch. It may not be that at all.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Update:

Strangely when I turn off the power from the mains socket then turn it on again, then turn on my PC the Boot up POST screen Logo is quick only taking a few seconds.

However when I load into windows then restart the PC straight away the problem happens that is POST screen logo takes long. The same problem happens when I turn on my PC after loading windown then shutting down my PC however the problem goes when I turn off the power at the mains then turn it on again.

Whats causing this problem?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Another clue leading to the PSU as possibly being the problem. Also, just another hunch. Or...
Can you run a safe extension cord to an outlet that you know is on a different outlet and try that?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Update:

I removed the TP-Link WiFi USB Adapter from the back of my PC and it fixed the problem regardless if I turn off the power at the mains first or not. I haven't uninstalled the WiFi USB drivers all I did was just pop it out at the back and restarted the PC and it booted up quick meaning the problem went.

I understand I have 2 USB ver 3.0 ports at the back however I put my WiFi USB adapter in a USB ver 2.0 port in the back of my PC because my WiFi adapter isn't USB ver 3.0.

But I need my WiFi USB adapter to go online. Anyone who had a similar problem to me or know a fix for this?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

I don't think I have any registry errors as its still a fresh install of windows 7.

Can software in a windows environment really affect the POST (non windows environment) at boot up?

Or is my Bios connecting to Internet causing the long POST screen because its a new generation Bios called UEFI that's causing the problem?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it is the driver causing the delay, you are correct. The driver would not come into play until the system completed POST and began loading Win7. Can you tell it is happening before Win7 begins loading?

If the BIOS is having trouble recognizing the device, that may cause a delay. Just for a test, try a different USB device in one of the USB2.0 ports and see if it happens too.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

If the driver does not come into play until POST is finished then how is it the driver cause the problem during POST? Yes the problem happens at POST stage (before windows 7 loads).

Does my BIos has to recognise all my USB devices attached to the system? Whats the point of the Bios recognising a WiFi USB adapter unless the Bios needs it to connect to the internet or something?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I believe that UEFI BIOS has the ability to access the internet for BIOS updates, etc. doesn't it? And it also uses the USB 2.0 ports for manual updating too. What MB are you using?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

I have a Asus H81M-PLUS motherboard.

I cant see any options in the Bios to update via Internet?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
OK, maybe that one doesn't. I just did a build with a Gigabyte MB that I was able to update the BIOS while in the UEFI BIOS. It had a built-in internet access. But it might have only been via Ethernet, not wi-fi. I can't remember now, and I always use Ethernet.

But the BIOS does access the USB 2.0 ports, so it would have a basic driver built-in.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Yes I was thinking how can my WiFi USB adapter work in the Bios when the drivers for it to make it work are for windows 7 not for my UEFI BIOS (non windows 7).

So do you think its USB port hardware fault or USB software fault (BIOS basic USB driver built in)?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Ok I did that. I disconnected the WiFi USB adapter and connected my external USB hard drive to the same USB port and the problem is gone.

I don't think theres anything wrong with my WiFi USB adapter because it works fine in a windows environment and it works on my other PC without causing the same problem.

So what you think is causing the problem?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
This WiFi USB adapter I have is the best WiFi USB available on the market as judged by amazon customer reviews.

Surely if there was a problem with this usb device then it would cause the same problem on my other PC and it would not work in a windows environment.

Do you think theres a issue with my motherboard instead that needs to be updated/patched?
Or do you think the motherboard is confused by 2 wireless usb devices that is the WiFi USB connected at the back and USB wireless receiver for keyboard and mouse connected at the front?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I agree that is one of the best. Like I said, I use it with no issues. But that doesn't mean that particular one you have isn't defective or doesn't have a compatibility issue with your motherboard. Can you try it on another machine?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014

Yeah like I said earlier in this thread it works on other PC with no probs?

Why should there be a compatibility issue when its USB?