IBM Model M Skins (& unicomp classic)

i've recently thought up a little project idea for myself and figured i would post my thoughts.

i'm not sure how how feasible (or how durable) this would be but i'll post the idea anyways and do a little bit more research as i go.

i have a (currently broken) model m keyboard 1391401 (the unicomp classic is a remake of this keyboard) and am looking to repair the keyboard by buying a new logic board and membrane/backer board set from unicomp. however (and this has plagued me for years) the beige color is not too much to look at.

now i could be like the rest and just paint or dye it black, red or some other color, however, i had the novel idea that it may look pretty decent skinned with a vinyl print which was then secured using some decent permanent adhesive..

the rest of the keyboard i would like to vinyl dye black. so that it is nondescript and doesnt really stand out. as for keys i would either dye them some color or use the grey keys from unicomp (i would just buy a keyboard and strip out what i want in that case).

concept 1

concept 2

i was also thinking about doing a removable usb cable mod as well as possibly adding in a usb3.0 powered hub to the rear of the keyboard. and sleeving all the wires into one cord.

this is the keyboard as is without any sort of modifications.

this is a quick template i cut out to fit. i do not have sides cut out yet as this is just a proof of concept at this point. i do not have it trimmed to length yet also. again, just a proof of concept.

here the pieces are shown overlayed on the keyboard. i managed to get a pretty decent fit with just a bit of tracing and simple measurements.

at this point in time this is just a proof of concept and throwing of an idea out for some comments.

i need to purchase repair components (or a donor keyboard) from unicomp before i can begin.

i also need to look into some prices for vinyl printing, rit dye and some usb 3.0 hubs.

----

glad to hear any thoughts and comments.