Sign in with
Your question

What should I upgrade first for better PC gaming - CPU, GPU or RAM?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
March 13, 2014 10:28:48 PM

I want to upgrade my PC for better gaming. I currently have 1.6GHz Celeron G440 single core CPU. 2GB of RAM and integrated Intel HD family graphics. I only play League of Legends, Minecraft and WoW cos not many other games will run on my PC. I get 30 fps on average in those games on lowest graphics settings. Eventually I want to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, Core i5-3470 and something like Radeon R7 250 since those fits my budget the best.

My question is what should I buy first? New GPU, CPU or RAM? What upgrade would increase my gaming by most? Since I can not afford to buy all at once and there could be couple months while I can buy more and would like to spend that time with better gaming.

I noticed that I can max WoW, LoL and Minecraft graphics but the thing is that FPS drops from 30 to like 10. So since I can max them I guess I have the capability on on integrated GPU? So would getting more RAM first would make it run smooth? Or new powerful CPU? Or would new GPU would make the most difference? Heck idk, I don't understand anything from PCs. Help very much appreciated.
March 13, 2014 10:38:24 PM

If you're running a 64-bit operating system throw 8gb of RAM in it. The graphics card will probably provide a greater frame rate in games after that, followed by your CPU. However everything you described is getting fairly old so the system will bottleneck pretty quick
m
l
March 13, 2014 10:46:13 PM

Ok let me try to explain. Just because you can "max it out" at 10fps doesnt mean you can. When people say they can max out a game that means they get at least 30+ fps. Anything below that is unplayable. Now for upgrading your computer it would probably be best to upgrade your cpu first as the games you play are very cpu intensive. Intel is definitely the way to go here as these games would use at most 2 cores so upgrading to an i3 should be a nice boost. However, you may also need to upgrade your mobo as well. Then after this you can upgrade to a gtx 750ti or r7 260 something like that. But also depending on your psu you may need to upgrade that as well depending on the wattage of your current psu. You also need to upgrade to at least 4gb of ram which can be had for less than $50. Basically though, everything in your computer is going to need to be replaced except maybe your hdd, case, and maybe psu if you want to game. However, If you do make these upgrades you would be able to play games like bf4 at high settings.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2014 10:50:34 PM

he shouldn't need to upgrade his motherboard just yet as it's an LGA1155 socket so can still house a 3470.
m
l
March 13, 2014 10:53:20 PM

Raggamuffyn said:
he shouldn't need to upgrade his motherboard just yet as it's an LGA1155 socket so can still house a 3470.

Ok thanks Im still nott great with mobos yet :x

m
l
March 13, 2014 10:59:07 PM

s'all good man, I had to google it 'cause I forgot how old the damn thing was.
m
l
March 13, 2014 10:59:59 PM

Raggamuffyn said:
s'all good man, I had to google it 'cause I forgot how old the damn thing was.

Haha
m
l
!