Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Marching drum situation

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
March 14, 2014 8:01:27 AM

I have been drumming for 8 years,but I'm a baritone player in band and I am a sophmore in high school. I failed the drum try out last year thinking its because I made a mistake or something. But I told my band director that I'm gonna try out this year and he said I could. I did and the drum staff was amazed so was the seniors. So there are 6 more try out days to attend, but the director pulled me in during school and said that I'm amazing but the chances if me getting in are less than 50%. He told me the real reason why I didn't make it last year and it was because the staff forced me to play the baritone. Now most the staff doesn't want me to be a drummer just because that I'm a good baritone player and if I try out so I will every other low brass.
I've been practicing marching drum for 4 years everyday! And now they tell me that I can't join the drumline just because they want me in baritone? By the way there are 150 marching band members and they could care less if I quit the marching band. I don't know what to do.ive been wanted to join the drumline ever since I was a little kid. My dreams....freakin ruined.
March 14, 2014 8:04:59 AM

Why are you posting this on a tech forum? Shouldn't this be on like FML or something?
m
l
March 14, 2014 8:56:13 AM

do you really want to join a group of people who cares nothing for you and treats you in such a poor manner?

it sounds like the school board is a bit snotty and that the members of the marching band may be as well.

you could probably force your way in if you made a big deal about it or got your parents involved but as i said before... do you really want to be part of something that doesnt seem to be accepting of you? forcing your way in would only make the staff go out of their way to cause trouble for you and some of the band might treat you with less respect than they do now.

perhaps you would be better suited towards a community ran orchestra/band which is a collection of people who share the same interests as you. the people might not be so snotty and may be more accepting. typically they can be made up of all ages not just kids and normally play for local events. of course you might not have one in your town so might need to travel a bit to find one...

if you are a drummer.. what are your thoughts about joining a small band? as in a music band not a marching band. while its a different style of music, you can make some good friends that way!

you say that it is your dream... however is this just a recreational dream (a hobby) or is this something you want to turn into a career? though i have to admit there isnt a great demand for marching bads in the workforce... so you might need to have a backup plan or secondary job. you're a sophmore so its worth thinking about it now (time passes really quickly and you will be out before you know it)
m
l
March 14, 2014 9:06:30 AM

ssddx said:
do you really want to join a group of people who cares nothing for you and treats you in such a poor manner?

it sounds like the school board is a bit snotty and that the members of the marching band may be as well.

you could probably force your way in if you made a big deal about it or got your parents involved but as i said before... do you really want to be part of something that doesnt seem to be accepting of you? forcing your way in would only make the staff go out of their way to cause trouble for you and some of the band might treat you with less respect than they do now.

perhaps you would be better suited towards a community ran orchestra/band which is a collection of people who share the same interests as you. the people might not be so snotty and may be more accepting. typically they can be made up of all ages not just kids and normally play for local events. of course you might not have one in your town so might need to travel a bit to find one...

if you are a drummer.. what are your thoughts about joining a small band? as in a music band not a marching band. while its a different style of music, you can make some good friends that way!

you say that it is your dream... however is this just a recreational dream (a hobby) or is this something you want to turn into a career? though i have to admit there isnt a great demand for marching bads in the workforce... so you might need to have a backup plan or secondary job. you're a sophmore so its worth thinking about it now (time passes really quickly and you will be out before you know it)

Maybe. But I do play in a gig and they all look down on me since I'm not in the drumline. Any ways to confront the staff without looking like a selfish fool?

m
l

Best solution

March 14, 2014 9:35:59 AM

why would they look down on you just because you are not part of the drumline? and who is the "they" you speak of?

if you are talking about fellow students judging you well thats quite common in schools. of course some schools are worse than others.

back when i was in your position... oh say 13 years ago or so i wasnt exactly the popular kid either. honestly though you cant let that bother you. popularity means nothing in the long run. instead i would look to make a few good friends. 1 good friend is better than 100 bad ones. a good friend isnt going to judge you on such silly things as what group you are or arent a part of.

true advice.

as for confronting the staff... you arent being selfish. you said for yourself that you are a good drummer and would have made the position except that they are not allowing it. if anything it is the staff who is being difficult and not you.

of course it also depends on if there is an open position or not. if there are no openings then you might need to wait a year for someone to graduate and free a spot up. if they already have a spot open and arent giving you a chance just because they are being difficult then its completly on them. honestly without hearing the whole story its hard to know the truth of the issue.

if you push the matter however people are often spiteful and would give you a hard time. sorry to say.

!