New Monitor - 144hz (TN) or other (IPS)

camason86

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
I'm about to buy a new monitor and having a tough time deciding. My primary use will be for PC gaming. Originally I was set on the BenQ XL2420TE for the refresh rate, response time, and flicker free display. Now, I'm undecided because I'm unsure if my PC will really take advantage of 144hz, and I know that IPS displays are of better quality.

One question I have is that if I don't hold 120+ FPS consistently in games, will the 144hz feature be worth it? My rig is pretty decent (will post specs below) but I get closer to around 50-100 FPS on average, maybe higher sometimes but not during intense moments when a lot of action is taking place on screen.

Aside from the refresh rate itself, would the 1ms response time be worth getting a TN panel over IPS? The monitor I'm using currently is an older LG which is a TN panel with 6ms response time. I'm sure I'd see an improvement over this either way. I'm wondering basically whether the 1ms response time would be noticeable in lieu of not holding 120+ fps all the time and really seeing that 144hz refresh rate.

My rig:
i5 4670K at 4.2ghz
16GB ram (1600mhz)
GTX 770 overclocked w/ acx cooler 2

PS if anyone has some general monitor recommendations I'd really appreciate those as well.

Thanks!

Solution
When it comes time to buy a monitor, bust your budget to but the best there is.
You will be looking at it for a very long time.

Your 4670K and GTX770 will run any monitor well, probably being able to sustain 60fps.

Consider going to a 27" 1440P format. These will be ips panels with 178/178 viewing angles.

You should have G.sync capability.
Here is a discussion on what that is: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

There will be some such G.sync enabled monitors. ASUS showed the ROG SWIFT PG278Q
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7627/asus-at-ces-2014

For pure gaming? forget IPS! You need TN, but a good TN.
IPS is meant for purposes like photo editing, etc. but not for gaming.

You have a nice nVidia rig there.
I would suggest to get something with 3D compatibility to nVidia GPU, like ASUS VG248QE, and you can pick the G-Sync version if you have enough money.

You will see a huge improvement to your old monitor, that is for sure.

TN screens tend to be faster at a cost of color accuracy and viewing angles(view from the side/above/below).

IPS panels are FAR better for color and viewing angles at a cost of overall speed.

60 to 120 is noticeable to most gamers for sure(even without 3D). I personally have mid way point(S-PVA) screen with rather good color(better IMO than many i see today) and mid level response(for a screen that is 5 years old). Next to a TN it looks better but has more input lag for sure(some users will not notice it while others may go nuts).

I always recommend looking at the screens in store to see what YOU like since specs only go so far.

Another thing you may wish to look for is IPS glow as some users do not get bugged by it, but it drives me nuts.

This IPS screen at MAX brightness(dynamic contrast was OFF) was not only darker(It had a "game mode" that fixed the darkness but made everything all banded.) than my other screen at 23%, but had some bad glow. Again, many users do not notice or are nto bugged by this.

S-PVA next to IPS(not a real cheap, but not the most expensive one)

This does NOT mean IPS is bad(quality screens with a polarizer have NO glow.). I have seen some good cheap IPS screens with way less glow from LG.

When it comes time to buy a monitor, bust your budget to but the best there is.
You will be looking at it for a very long time.

Your 4670K and GTX770 will run any monitor well, probably being able to sustain 60fps.

Consider going to a 27" 1440P format. These will be ips panels with 178/178 viewing angles.

You should have G.sync capability.
Here is a discussion on what that is: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

There will be some such G.sync enabled monitors. ASUS showed the ROG SWIFT PG278Q
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7627/asus-at-ces-2014

Solution