The Phenom III? (Idea)

eton975

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
From what I understand, the current AMD FX series (Piledriver) has 2 problems: Poor single-threaded performance (which is caused, from what I understand, by a low IPC), and it is power-hungry.

I was just thinking, could the K10 architecture used for the Phenom II be successfully used to make a CPU today, if the 45nm transistors could be shrunk down to 28nm, and made at GlobalFoundries' Fab 8?

My idea is that AMD would make a lineup similar to that of the Phenom II - X2=dual core, X4=quad core, x6=hex core. If AMD could implement their own version of hyper=threading, too, that would be interesting.

All Phenom IIIs would work with socket AM3+, so enthusiasts could just swap out their Phenom IIs and FX-8xxxs for these after a BIOS flash.

My idea is that this would work as a nice stopgap CPU for AMD while they work on a new architecture.

Not really.

Die shrink has no effect on IPC. The K10 architecture is rather dated. I have seen a few game benchmarks that performs poorly with an old Phenom II X4 / X6 CPU. Pildriver performs better in non-gaming benchmarks as well.

The concept of a CPU without integrated GPU is more or less dead. Desktop sales have been declining for years. AMD needs to produce processors that can be used in both desktops and laptops and other mobile devices as well. A processor without an iGPU increases cost because an separate GPU would need to be installed. A "pure CPU" only serves the desktop market which I have said, has been shrinking.

AMD simply need to kill socket AM3+ and focus on improving the APU.