MSI Introduces Radeon R8 280 Gaming Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
"pricing is expected to sit around the $280 mark"

Dolls_Laughing.gif

BUAHAHAHAHAHAA!! HAAA HAA HAAA HAAAAA!!! HAHAHAHA!! Ha ha. Heh. That's a good one! Now, what's the post-mining-rush price going to be?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I think the effect of mining on prices has been exaggerated a little, but even if it is entirely at fault it's effects should be diminishing. Network difficulty is rising, profitiblility is dropping, and ASIC miners are looking like they may start to appear in numbers soon.All in all it would be a foolish time to buy more graphics cards for the purposes of scrypt mining, the chances of recouping the costs are dropping rapidly. There are some coins that may buck the trend but I don't know that I'd gamble on that.

voreo

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
im glad i managed to snag a 270x before the miner price. considering a nvidia next time though through msi though, this ones only giving trouble cause i guess the R9 200 cards just have some issues on somethings, like mine i get really weird tearing on GW2

caj

Distinguished
@firefoxx04we have to cry about miners. They are the reason a 500$ card went to a 850$ which primary use is for gaming. Coz of that many in most regions I know have shifted to nvidia.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Tom's hardware guys drunk these days? Betheda followed by an R8. :DReading the headline, I was amazed how MSI can release a card even before AMD itself :D
It's just a rebranded HD 7950, so MSI could physically create this easily. However, getting the software and drivers to recognize it as an official "R9-280" could be much harder.....

verma1891

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

you meant r8 280 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.