Looking for help integrating a graphics card I won into a new desktop computer

Jaruzzu

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
I've been posting here every so often looking for advice and you guys have been great! So I had another question, which happens to be a pretty big and broad question. So any help with this would be really appreciated.

I recently won a graphics card at a gaming competition. You can find out the technical aspects of it in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/ECS-GeForce-Express-Graphics-NGTS450-1GPL-F/dp/tech-data/B009M3UL9G%3FSubscriptionId%3D0CV11S720H77223J28R2%26tag%3Dwwwbrokerbinc-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D386001%26creativeASIN%3DB009M3UL9G

So what I wanted to do, was purchase a Desktop computer that had a lower end graphics card in it and then just replace that graphics card with the one I won. Although I don't know if the graphics card I won would be compatible in the desktop I plan to buy. So that's where I needed advice. Does anyone know of a cheap desktop with a decent processor (at least a quad core of 2.8Ghz or faster) and at least 8GB of ram that would be compatible with the graphics card I listed above?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also if any of you feel like it would be cheaper to build a desktop from scratch using the graphics card I have, I can do that as well. I'm not dumb when it comes to laptops. I've replaced a processor in my laptop and added an extra harddrive to it as well. Although when it comes to installing Windows and partitioning hard drive discs and making sure what motherboards are compatible with what graphics cards, that's where I start drawing a blank.

My price range was between $200-$400. I don't really expect it to cost much more than that, seeing as how the graphics card is usually the most expensive piece of hardware in a desktop and I already have a decent one. I do plan to hopefully upgrade that card in the future as well. But if for some reason I can't (motherboard isn't compatible with anything more powerful than the graphics card I won) then so be it. I just want a decent gaming desktop.

Thanks again in advance for the help! Also if you need more information, just let me know.

Solution
That graphics card is going to be compatible with any new, non-low profile computer you purchase today, though it may require a power supply upgrade. However, you're not going to find a desktop computer that matches your desires for under $400 without finding an amazing deal. The best I found on Newegg is this $550 Lenovo K410 with a 280watt power supply that probably sits right on the edge of being enough for your new graphics card or this $500 Avatar Gaming FX6161OC with a 350 watt power supply (should be enough).

You could save some money by building your own (and substantially more after mail in rebates), but you're still over $400 initially. If you don't mind waiting 8 to 14 weeks to see if you actually get the...

Wolfshadw

Titan
That graphics card is going to be compatible with any new, non-low profile computer you purchase today, though it may require a power supply upgrade. However, you're not going to find a desktop computer that matches your desires for under $400 without finding an amazing deal. The best I found on Newegg is this $550 Lenovo K410 with a 280watt power supply that probably sits right on the edge of being enough for your new graphics card or this $500 Avatar Gaming FX6161OC with a 350 watt power supply (should be enough).

You could save some money by building your own (and substantially more after mail in rebates), but you're still over $400 initially. If you don't mind waiting 8 to 14 weeks to see if you actually get the rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($75.12 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling ACALP64-GT 25.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($8.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $399.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-15 20:49 EDT-0400)

-Wolf sends

Solution