i7 4770k or fx 9370 for gaming pc?

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys,

Im going to build my first gaming pc in a few weeks, and I need to pick a CPU.
I will save around $50 if i get the 9370, and plus it has more cores than the i7. I'm leaning towards it right now, but I need more advice.
Im not just gonna game, I will stream games and do a bit of heavy video/photo rendering and editing, so which one will be best for this as well?

Plus, games like watch dogs and demanding 8 cores to play on ultra high:
http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=features&y=2013&m=10&d=03&WeblogPostName=here_2700_s-what-it-will-cost-new-pc-owners-to-play-watch-dogs&GroupKeys=

So will it be a wiser investment if i go with amd? Or should I take intel?

P.S. I'm going to get an asrock z87 extreme4 mobo and evga gtx 780 sc acx, if that helps.

Thnx.

nielsieboy

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I think it would be wiser to go for the i7. The cpu is the most important part of your pc so do not cheap it out.
Ok amd has more cores but if you look at cpu benchmaks you will see that some intel quad cores beat amd eight cores. Intel cores are just more efficiënt.
Watch dogs and other next gen games will probably use HT
But its really up to you, i myself own a 4770 and its great at running multiple heavy programs at the same time like sony vegas, photoshop.
I hope i helped you !

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I'll take the i7, only reason i dont want the i5 is cause im doing multitasking(from Photoshop to vegas pro to other apps) constantly and games are reccomending an i7 these days.

Thnx for the advice

matt798

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
the 9370 is much less efficient but amd is supplying the most hardware to game consoles and a shift is being made to polling the cpu less this represents a huge gain in performance in future titles. at its stock settings on a asus crosshair v formula or compatible mobo. there would no issues in any dx11 games or anything u do unless u wanna throw it a really hard hitting single core game and honestly i have a 6350 at 4.6ghz and i am able to host 4 others in vindictus while never dropping under 50 fps. this game has high physics on a modified source engine that is suppose to have multi core support but they broke it in the creation of the game so the single core comes under heavy stress while hosting.
so anything single core related u will be fine out of box unless its a crap program honestly

matt798

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
ya it does most def look better in the long run past 2-3 years. but its hard to say what will happen. we could see a 22nm gpu or graphene replace silicone.

mojito0

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
And dont forget that those high clock amd cpus have high voltages and require some good cooling from your side. It is recommended to get a solid air or liquid cooler especially on those fx 9xxx ones. Although if it was just for gaming and some 4.4overclock I would go with haswell or fx 8350 ( The same as 9370 but lower clock) so you save more bucks which could maybe go to a 780 TI or something else.