Three monitors, one graphics card, it is possible?!

nguyendavid12

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Hey smart people of Tom's Hardware. Here is my issue I have one graphics card, and three monitors. What would be the best way for me to run this set up? I want to run at least two individual monitors, and if the third one could fit it awesome, if not, not a big deal.

Heres my setup.

Motherboard: P8 Z77-V Pro

Graphic card: Nvidia Quadro 400 (has one display port, and a dvi-d port)

Monitor one: VGA/DVI
Monitor two: VGA/HDMI
Monitor three: VGA

I know VGA is an obvious common between the three monitor, but whats the best set up? Should I get a convert for the displayport to go from that to HDMI. Then a DVI-D to two vga ports? My goal is to run three individual monitors:) PLEASE HELP!

Solution
There's an option in bios called igpu multi monitor. If you enable that you can use the igpu at the same time. It's what I do for more monitors. The gpu will still do any gpu work and just pass through the igpu as long as the monitor connected to the gpu is set to primary in windows.

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Possible? Yes. Good performace? Doubt it. Can your card do it? Probably not.

For one thing, it doesn't even have 3 ports on it. For another thing, it has almost no power, very little memory. If you are planning on doing anything intensive, I foresee the card crashing outright.

nguyendavid12

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Okay so do you suggest me to run only two monitors? one from display port converted to HDMI, and one from dvi-d to dvi?

sorry for the double response

Having more monitors does not necessarily mean you need more graphics power. The quadro 400 only supports 2 independent monitors. What are you using the pc for? What cpu do you have? Cpu is just to see if you have igpu. Then you can run some monitors off of there.

nguyendavid12

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Mainly for school work, designing 3-D models with Solidworks. But its a custom built desktop, I have a i5-357OK with boost about 3.4 GHz, running 16gb of ram, and my power supply is about 620W (Antec). I thought once I install a graphics card, you can not use any display ports off of your motherboard?

There's an option in bios called igpu multi monitor. If you enable that you can use the igpu at the same time. It's what I do for more monitors. The gpu will still do any gpu work and just pass through the igpu as long as the monitor connected to the gpu is set to primary in windows.

Solution

nguyendavid12

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Awesome, thanks for your advice I will give that a shot!

TRENDING THREADS