Microsoft Basic Display Adapter running a phantom monitor

rulejunior

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hello people of Tom's Hardware, today I come to you with a question that I haven't found an answer to just by searching.

I recently (Friday) just swapped out my old graphics card to one of the new offerings from AMD, the R7 260x (third party one from MSI). Now, the card itself is running just fine with my monitor, the Hp 2011x. Now the problem I am having is an odd one. The basic display adapter from Microsoft keeps running a Generic Non-PNP monitor as a phantom, and I can't figure out why. Now normally, this wouldn't be a problem if it was display 2, but it is showing up as display number 1. Because of it, I haven't been able to access my bios or anything because I can't see it, which is driving me crazy. Also, if you are wondering, I am using AMD's latest beta driver, and when I go into CCC, it doesn't display the phantom under there. It isn't really bothering me as of now, but I would like to fix it asap, so a prompt response is appreciated.

rulejunior

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I also neglected to add when I posted this that I am running Windows 8.1, and I am getting dancing red pixels which I can confirm is being caused by my new gpu also. The red pixels usually dissipate after a minute or two when my system really starts to run.

Scitchet

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
I had exactly the same problem. The only solution I found was on a Steam Forum: http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/648814845102291439/

I only had to disable the secure boot, I didn't need to switch to Legacy Boot.

Good Luck,
Emily