Advice/thoughts on newbie air-cooled, gaming build

DangerousFerret

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Hi All.
I'm aiming to put together a gaming rig, my first home build, and have put together what I think is a compatible parts list to buy. My existing is a water cooled system but I'd like air cooled for this rig.

Some background
- I'm very keen to try the silverstone case as heard only good things and love the inverted positioning for the vertical air flow to make a pretty cool and quiet system. (I'm somewhat sure everything will fit, especially the noctua). It looks like it also ships with solid fans.
-I've got an existing 30" monitor so I'll be running resolution at 2650 x 1600 and would like (as everyone does) to run new titles at max settings (BF4, skyrim with a lot of mods and the upcoming witcher 3).
- Budget is floating at around $3500.
- I'd like to OC but nothing very high (1st timer, aircooled) which has contributed to my parts choosing. Just opening up the CPU bottleneck a bit.
- A long convoluted search for overclocking, very good on-board sound and space led me to the Maximus range.

Any advice or comments would be very much appreciated, especially on space, compatibility and performance, which is pretty much the usual I guess :)

[PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aCjm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aCjm/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aCjm/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.72 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2903.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-16 02:04 EDT-0400)]

g-unit1111

Titan
That build looks great (dual 780TI = drooling Homer Simpson style :lol: ) and the Silverstone FT-02 is an excellent choice for case. However there's a few minor alterations I would make before I say it's perfect:

1. The Maximus V is very expensive and way overrated. You can drop this to an Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 and spend that money elsewhere.
2. 16GB of RAM isn't needed for a gaming rig and on Haswell you want faster RAM. You want something in the DDR3-1866 - 2133 range. 1600 just won't cut it for overclocking.
3. I'm not a huge fan of Kingston SSDs because they use the old slow and outdated Sandforce 2.0 controller. Get a Samsung 840 Evo or OCZ Vector 460 instead - much better SSDs.
4. I'm also not a huge fan of the Corsair AXi series. The "iLink" software isn't exactly ready for prime time and it's a generic Flextronics unit. Go with a Seasonic G series or X series, or the NZXT Hale 90 instead - much better power supplies.
5. With the money saved in RAM and motherboard you can invest in a closed loop liquid cooler. A lot of people will say the Corsair H100i, but I'm not a huge fan of that cooler because it's a generic Asetek unit and Corsair has a horrible reputation for including sub par fans with its' liquid units. Get a Cooler Master Eisburg which is based on a Swiftech design and will allow you to loop your CPU and GPUs in the way that a custom liquid unit would.

DangerousFerret

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Thanks g-unit1111, I've taken your great advice to heart and and am reading more on the suggested PSU while I've updated my RAM and SSD to:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)

I'm not 100% sold on the Maximus Formula VI, more like defaulting to a very pricey MB that does lot right for the Haswell generation. This is the component that I've changed my mind on the most for this build.

I'll admit to being wary about changing up the cooling to a liquid closed loop (mainly based on low skill there, my existing water cooled was just an old CPU loop on a Thermaltake Xazer VI. I'll read up more on the CM Eisburg.