Sign in with
Your question

Please review my build list for me, I'm a first time noob

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
March 16, 2014 3:05:12 AM

Hi, my name is Bill and I'm new to this forum. I have never really built a rig before, but I am tech fluent and have been following the PC industry since 10 years old. I know how everything works in theory, but I have never done anything hands on. So the experienced memebers here, please check my build, give some suggestions on how to make it more cost effective, more performance/dollar, etc. Also the compatibility of all the components.

My main aim is to built a rig that's as silent as possible, but within reason; I'm not going to dish out 10 grand to make a 0dB PC. It should be relatively high end, still able to handle high end games at decent settings in two years from now.

***I'm NOT going to overclock, just going to play performance demanding games like BF4, Metro, Crysis and etc. Hopefully max out the settings, but not a big deal.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4771 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($387.77 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($111.98 @ Canada Computers)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 20g Thermal Paste ($32.87 @ Newegg Canada)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($223.76 @ DirectCanada)
I'm not sure if this one is a good choice. I just need a board with all the features, such as lots of USB 3 ports, decent integrated sound card and wifi AC. I can't seem to find if this board supports ac standard yet. If it doesn't what's the best way to add the feature? Are there cheaper alternatives to this board with identical performance and features?

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($179.57 @ Newegg Canada)
Not sure about this one either. I just want 2x8GB rams, so it's easier to upgrade to 32GB down the road. I noticed they're all expensive, so I chose one of the cheaper ones. Is this a decent brand? Will it last at least 2 -3 years with intensive but not OC usage?

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.76 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($728.00 @ Vuugo)
Video Card Cooler: NZXT Kraken G10 Video Card Cooler
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($70.64 @ Newegg Canada)
Other: G10 copper heatsink ($10.00)
This is semi-DIY water cooling for GPU, cheap but cost-effective, especially for drastically reducing noise output.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($111.98 @ Canada Computers)
Will this case house the two radiators effeciently? Do I need more fans? Will the all the sub-systems work fine without additional fans? If i do add fans, will the noise increase a lot?

Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($190.38 @ Canada Computers)

Total: $2186.71

apart from the stuff already in the list, is there anything else I need for the build? velcro? zip ties? screws?
sorry if I have a lot of questions, this is my first time attempting a real rig.

thanks everyone for helping.

More about : review build list time noob

March 16, 2014 3:26:42 AM

Nice stuff you chose good quality parts throughout so shouldn't have an issue with build quality/longevity.

You could just get a cheaper motherboard + a wireless card/usb that supports AC?

checkout PCpartpicker for help on your builds.
!