$2K to Spend: Gaming Laptop or Custom Desktop?

wcladley

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
I was thinking of the following options as a secondary gaming option (I have an Intel 2600K rig from 2011 that is still serving as my primary PC). They are each around $2K and each presents an interesting set of performance characteristics and limitations. Which do you guys would be the worthy purchase? I realize building is always better, but I am short on time of late and wanted to try something new.

Laptop (with GTX 880M upgrade):

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8268-S

Rationale: I have not purchased a laptop in 8 years and while I don't do a lot of traveling, there are moments when a solid gaming laptop would be nice to have. I have never gamed on a laptop before, so I was wondering what kind of performance the 880m would give me vs. current rig (which has two AMD 6850s in Crossfire). The specs look great, but I realize that it is an older architecture. I know laptops are generally considered to be money pits, but this looked intriguing as a secondary option.

Desktop: Main Gear Vybe

Chassis: Vybe 2012 Chassis with window - Red on Black Color
Chassis Lighting: White LED Light Strip
Motherboard: Gigabyte® 990FXA-UD3 Supporting SATA 6G, USB 3.0, CrossFireX and SLI
Processor: AMD® FX™ 9590 4.7/5.0GHz 8-Core 16MB Cache
Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR EPIC 120 Supercooler

Memory: 16GB Corsair® Vengeance™ DDR3-1600 1.5V (2x8GB)
Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: AMD® Radeon™ R9 290 4GB GDDR5 w/Eyefinity [ULTIMATE]
Hard Drive Bay One: 1TB Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200rpm 64MB Cache SATA 6G
Hard Drive Bay Two: 1TB Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200rpm 64MB Cache SATA 6G
Power Supply: 750W EVGA® SuperNOVA 80 Plus Certified PSU - GTX 780 SLI Ready
Optical Drive One: 24X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive
Audio: 7.1 Channel High Definition Surround Sound Supporting S/DIF Optical Out
Ethernet Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit

Rationale: What attracted me here was the prospect of getting the 290 for less (as an upgrade cost) than it goes for on the open market, plus the fact that Main Gear will provide a liquid cooler for the processor, installation of which I have never done before. Obviously, the concern here is power draw and heat. Will the chassis and liquid cooler be enough to keep the monster CPU and GPU within operational temperatures...and will the liquid cooler last the 50K hours MainGear claim it will with such a hot processor? Since this is a secondary machine, I would not be running it all day, but only for sessions of BF4, Titanfall, and other, newer PC games at, hopefully, the highest of fidelity.

What do you guys think?

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
you should OC your cpu and get a new ssd and gpu. a new PC (new cpu, new mobo, new OS key) isn't really worth it if you can just OC your sandy bridge cpu and upgrade the rest of it.

Silibant

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Never heard of Sager before, get a Cyberpower or an iBuyPower laptop/desktop if you must. Or spend 1K on both and have a kickass setup for years to come. My PC was built on less than a half grand and maxes out anything at max res, and you can pick up an $850 gaming laptop. Boosh.