I5-3570k Temps above normal (85-90C)

James Bradley

Honorable
Mar 17, 2014
I built this system about a year ago with the I5-3570k. When I pulled the CPU from the package I noticed like 4 pins on the corner were bent, of course, Intel says it's my fault. Anyway, I straightened the pins the best I could with mechanical pencil and installed. I'm like 99% sure I put on thermal paste (Not my first rig, A+ certified as if that means shit). Now, A year later I went to upgrade the ram from 8gigs to 16gigs by filling the other two slots on the mobo. Will not boot, Will not boot with any DIMMs in the B-channel....So I said screw it, left it alone. Now, anytime i'm playing a game the temps are 85-90c. Idle temps are 55-60. I'm pretty sure there were never that high before, no overclocking involved, and stock cooler....Could paste be bad? I'm scared to remove it cause of those bent/loose pins. Could that actually cause over heating? Could CPU be bad and that's why B-channel isn't working? Helppppp please!

postman81

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Removing the cooler cleaning and applying new paste sounds like a good idea. As for the pins, unless you remove the cpu from the socket it shouldn't matter. Just leave it in. If that fails then you look to the pins next.