Build Help: i4670k memory and mobo suggestions

wakeboarder3780

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Making a new build, here is what I have tentatively decided on:

2 GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-2GD in SLI
i5-4670K
MSI Z87-GD65

I am mainly trying to figure out what RAM speed to get because I understand it is limited / controlled by the CPU. I typically buy OC'able gear but do not OC until more performance is necessary later in the components life. I have not yet had to OC as this is only my second "OC'able" build and my previous one is getting handed down to my wife before OC'ing is needed.

I have heard things like RAM speeds higher than 1600 don't really matter, and a lot of advice suggesting not to get the higher speeds because the cost is higher. I have looked these two comparable items up and don't understand the cost argument:
8 gb of 1600 @ $80
8 gb of 2600 @ $108

To me $27 is negligible assuming I do get a performance increase / OC'ing flexibility. Can anyone help me out? What speed should I get to allow flexibility when OC'ing down the road?

I'm also open to different suggestions on mobo as long as it supports raid 0 and SLI.

wakeboarder3780

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for the responses, I've been mixing in my independent research since I posted the question as well. The real world performance numbers just don't lie. The way I see it now is essentially the only time I *might* see a benefit at all would be when I'm editing / rendering videos that I edit.

I really liked the video you posted, ivanjacob, he delivered a concise message in a likeable format. What he was saying about higher frequencies requiring the tradeoff of higher cas latency is true and something that didn't sit well with me. You can see that even in the links I provided above. With that in mind I have decided to go for the following ram which is 1866 @ 8 CL