Can i have a workstation graphics card and a gaming card in one desktop?

Chez it

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I want to build a desktop. I love gaming but I need to do a lot of 3D rendering and designing using a CADD programs. I want to have two monitors with one tower. One monitor for gaming and one for rendering. Is this possible?

Solution
You can totally do this. as an example, you can have an amd card and a nvidia card in the same system. you cannot use them at the same time, but you can switch between the two with absolutely no problems as long as you are careful with your drivers and settings
You can totally do this. as an example, you can have an amd card and a nvidia card in the same system. you cannot use them at the same time, but you can switch between the two with absolutely no problems as long as you are careful with your drivers and settings

Solution

Chez it

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

Will I be still be able to have my mouse be able to slide from screen to screen at will? Or will I have to change settings to switch between monitors?

No, you will be able to have the desktop stretch across both screens as usual, but you will have to set one gpu to default for certain programs, while the other defaults for things like games. (will just be slightly tedious and time consuming, but will work just fine)

themsabhi

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

I'm planning to build a new pc, So I haven't figured out the motherboard yet, for the Graphics
I'm planning to buy AMD FirePro W5100 & AMD Radeon R9 285.
So If I buy one monitor with HDMI & DisplayPort Inputs and connect the Firepro with DP & Radeon with HDMI, & I can change the input in monitor, Will this setup workout ?
So while using 3D softwares I can use Firepro & while playing games I can use Radeon.
Power consumptions are not an issue.
I use 3d softwares (solidworks, zbrush, modo, sketchup, keyshot, maxwell, etc...) & equally play games.