Upgrading the motherboard?

nolandd03

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I’m currently working on rebuilding my PC. I currently have an HP Phoenix h9-1180 that I have had for a little over a year. I’m wanting to rebuild this one up to make it my own personal build. Since everything is stock, I’m looking at changing most the major components (I’ll put a list below of what I’ve picked out so far). My biggest question is whether or not I should switch out the motherboard. My buddy said not to bother unless I’m upgrading my CPU at the same time, but I don’t want the expensive of buying a new CPU and not sure if a new $300-400+ one would give me that much improvement.

As a side note, I use my computer for gaming and entertainment.

Here’s the build so far:

CPU – i7 3770 (current)

GPU – Radeon HD 7770 (Current)
Looking at upgrading to a GTX 760 or maybe 770. I do want to set up SLI in the future.

Motherboard – Currently the stock board

Memory – 12 GB (4x3GB) DDR3-1333 (current, worth replacing?)

Hard Drive – Currently have a 2TB HDD, adding a Samsung 840 SSD

Power Supply – Stock 600W (current)
Looking at upgrading to a Corsair RM750

Case – Definitely getting a new one, looking at the Corsair Vengeance C70

Now if you guys can let me know what items you think I should/shouldn’t replace and whether or not getting a new board is worth it. My budget overall is 600-700 USD, so a new CPU would have to wait.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $459.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-17 19:24 EDT-0400)

Here's a list of great parts for the price. Didn't include a case, but if you plan to sli I would look at full tower cases. No need to replace the ram.