I can't fix my screen resolution problem!

TheFuse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
I have GTX 760 with the current drivers. I have an Acer X173W monitor (old monitor) which is 1440 x 900. I have a VGA to DVI adapter because the old monitor only allows VGA.
After building my PC I plugged everything in, booted for the first time and installed all the drivers. Everything was running great and the resolution was correct. Recently, I move my PC to another desk, which of course required removing all the cables (mouse, monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.). After moving everything to where I want it, I plugged everything back in and booted it. As soon as I booted I realized the resolution was wrong and I couldn't find the correct one in the settings. It says 1024 x 768 is the native resolution which is obviously WRONG. I looked for help online and went about with solutions I found. I re-installed drivers (graphics card), unplugged, reboot, customize resolution, try all resolution, change from small to medium to large in Personalize, and other stuff that seemed basic. NOTHING WORKED! Please help! It was fine before I unplugged it. I don't understand what could possibly be wrong.

TheFuse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

The Acer X173X specifically doesn't have its own drivers. It worked before I unplugged it. It really makes me wonder what difference it made from unplugging it and plugging it back in (while powered off, of course).

Confirm Plug and Play OS is enabled in the BIOS.

Otherwise, try uninstalling the monitor driver and rebooting Windows. The monitor wasn't detected properly.

TheFuse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Ditching the monitor isn't an option for me at this time. If I had the money to replace this, I would do it in a heartbeat but then I would also have to change my desk because the smallest monitor at 1080p is 21.5" and it wouldn't fit. It seems like i'm stuck with this for a while. But like I told the other guy, how is it that this problem arises from simply turning off my PC, unplugging the monitor, and then plugging it back in. It really annoys me. I did look up the questions you asked and none of them lead me to a solution. My problem is identical to the link you sent. He doesn't seem to have a solution either. It would be great if you knew the solution but if not, thanks anyway. This is a very frustrating event. It just doesn't make sense to me. I've reinstalled drivers repeatedly with different settings but nothing is working. :/

TheFuse

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

I can't find Plug and Play OS, or PnP, in the BIOS. My motherboard is the Asus M5A97 R2.0. It also has the most recent BIOS update.

so i suspect this is probably an old monitor and there are no win7 drivers for it.not a problem.go to control panel>device manager>monitor and click on properties.once in properties click on driver then click uninstall and restart your computer.win7 should install the device and your screen resolution should come back.

Did you try this?