Why was my thread deleted?

ResearchIsFun

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I posted asking for help with academic research for a master's dissertation on which types of help users prefer at
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2069180/survey-users-prefer-find-software-research-project.html

It contained a link to that survey and the word "email". It was no promotion for any kind of product, nor spam. I'm just a student trying to write a thesis and though I might find helpful people here.

I had read the rules but seen nothing that applied to this kind of post. I had also seen several other threads asking for survey participants.

I also got no PM as to why the thread was deleted, only an email notification that it was.

Any advice? Thanks!

ResearchIsFun

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Thanks Saga Lout, I got the PM and I indeed did post in the wrong subforum.

I apologize, I got a bit confused there.
Thanks again!!

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
We have a fairly long-standing "No homework questions" policy here on Tom's Hardware. The reason for this is that nearly all regular questions asked by users on technical subjects are going to exist to help answer other questions others might have. Homework questions don't help anyone but the individual asking them, and can quickly bog down the tech support sections with things like "Describe in 500 words how IP addresses work?" and other homeworky type inquiries.

This policy is in place to protect our community. We don't warn or ban when a user posts a homework question, but we do remove it.

-JP