Upgrading my 32gb mSATA hard drive, is it worth it?

osiras

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hey Everyone,
New to the forum and from my research, this clearly is one of the friendliest and expert led forums!!
I have a Dell XPS with a Hybrid 32gb msata and 500gb standard hard drive setup up. Im contemplating changing the 32gb msata to a 240gb msata but using it as the primary boot device, and use the 500gb hard drive for storage.
I had a previous dell with just the 240gb msata and it was lightning fast (in my opinion). What i'm wondering is, will it be worth it? if so should i then allocate (if its possible) 32gb of the new msata to act as the cache for the 500gb hard drive using intels rapid storage technology?
Any views would be greatly appreciated, i know my way around a pc, but do not consider myself more than a keen amateur

s4in7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
It's definitely worth it to put your OS and most frequently used apps on an SSD--it cuts boot time and application opening time in half, if not more.

You will be able to allocate space on the mSATA for Windows Pagefile, but I'm not sure if you can allocate space for the HDD's cache as the HDD has it's own cache.

In my opinion, it's definitely worth it.

osiras

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Thanks s4in7 thats awesome, appreciate it. Im not confident enough to say about the HDD cache etc, all i know is that at the moment, intels rapid start technology and rapid storage, use the msata to accelerate the drive and something to do with the cache.

osiras

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Any other thoughts from anyone? can i partition the SSD and use 32gb of that to accelerate the 500gb hard drive