Best monitor to buy for ~250 USD?

jwall5352

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I have no idea if it makes a difference to what my computer is so heres what my computer is going to be- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3arE0

And are any of the monitors in store at best buy good to buy? It'd be nice to skip over the shipping time. If not the it's fine :)

Just going for great picture quality.. I am hoping for a 24-26 inch.. I don't really want much larger than that..

My monitor is currently some crappy 32 inch TV

This computer has yet to be built but will be on Thursday/Friday but it will be mainly used for gaming with a little bit of movie viewing on it.

Solution
You said "great picture quality", not gaming. That said, the U2414H has very low input lag, and is good for gaming. However, I might recommend the ASUS VG248QE ($270) for gaming as it's a 144hz monitor.

The difference is that the U2414H, an IPS monitor will blur a tiny bit when things are in motion (try reading text on window as you drag it around), where as the VG248QE will remain smooth and sharp almost no matter what. However, the colors on the VG248QE will fade a little toward the edges (or anywhere on the monitor that your eyes are not centered on), and color gradients will not be quite as smooth.

So I recommend the dell if you primarily do MMO/RPG/RTS games, and the Asus for FPS (or sonic the hedgehog). You can't really go...

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
For $280 you can get a Dell U2414H. The only weird thing about it is it's displayport and HDMI only (no dvi). If that's not an issue(it shouldn't be with the 780 gtx), it's about as good as you're going to get for under $300.

jwall5352

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
And that is the best I would get for gaming specifically?

I know nothing about this stuff, but I thought gaming was supposed to aim for lower than 8 ms response time, I could be entirely wrong though :p

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
You said "great picture quality", not gaming. That said, the U2414H has very low input lag, and is good for gaming. However, I might recommend the ASUS VG248QE ($270) for gaming as it's a 144hz monitor.

The difference is that the U2414H, an IPS monitor will blur a tiny bit when things are in motion (try reading text on window as you drag it around), where as the VG248QE will remain smooth and sharp almost no matter what. However, the colors on the VG248QE will fade a little toward the edges (or anywhere on the monitor that your eyes are not centered on), and color gradients will not be quite as smooth.

So I recommend the dell if you primarily do MMO/RPG/RTS games, and the Asus for FPS (or sonic the hedgehog). You can't really go wrong with either one.

Solution